Chapter Twenty Nine - Persephone

My fingers stop as a knock on the door surprises me. I furrow my brows at the sound. Who would be here at this time? Besides Hades, I don't see anyone else and, it is well before my time to see him. Wiping the pain on my homemade covering that I made so not to get any on the beautiful dresses Hades gave me. I can't stomach the thought of getting a drop on their unique fabric.

Pulling the door open, my eyes widen as Hades is indeed standing there.

"Hi," I greet him. He doesn't respond, but the smile that causes his lips to turn up takes me off guard. He reaches out, his thumb gently caresses the side of my nose and runs down along my cheek. My heart immediately wakes from its rest. Heat joins running up my neck as my insides ignite at one innocent touch.

His smile drops but only a fraction as he pulls his thumb back revealing paint. Displaying the smear, he says, "You had a little something there."

"Thanks," I say, my voice sounding a little huskier than normal.

Hades eyes brighten, but he quickly clears his throat before attempting to continue the conversation, "Did I interrupt your progress?"

I lick my lips before answering and don't miss the way his eyes follow its movements, "No, I'm just surprised to see you before our usual time. Is everything okay?"

His posture straightens, "Yes, fine. I just thought you may want to get out for a little while."

"Get out?" I ask, raising an eyebrow, "Where?"

"It's a surprise," Hades says, his smile returning, "We can leave as soon as you get ready."

"Okay!" I bounce a little as my excitement rises, "I just need a moment to get cleaned up."

"Take your time, I will meet you outside the dining hall," he answers taking a step back into the corridor.

"Okay, just a moment, I swear!"

His smile brightens as my excitement bubbles over, and I hurry to close the door throwing my covering over my head in the same movement.