Chapter Forty-Two- Hades

I would have preferred to wait until after dinner to continue with our conversation so as not to burden her. However, she wouldn't allow it. She asked question after question about Tartarus and how to determine whether a soul was to go there. No matter how I tried to redirect her it didn't work. I eventually gave in and answered what she wanted to know. If it didn't bother her then it wouldn't bother me.

"A tarnished soul will appear with a blackish haze around them. It's as if the soul can't contain all evil acts the person did while they were alive. As for what those acts were, you will see them written within the haze" I say as I place another serving of fruit on her plate. "Those types of souls will try to manipulate you to sway your decision, but they can't hide the truth because it's part of them."

Persephone places a grape in her mouth as she nods. Her eyes alive with interest as she soaks up each word. I must learn to stop underestimating her. She hasn't shied away from anything that I have told or showed her despite me fearing the worst.

"Can you... give me an... example of a... punishment you have... gave to someone?" she asks, her sentence broken due to her chewing.

I can't help the smirk that pulls up the corners of my lips. Her personality has many sides and I am just beginning to scratch the surface of them. Whether she is being serious or adorable as she is in this moment I have yet to find a side of her that doesn't amaze me.

"Of course. The most recent had been a man that murdered his wife and three children. When I asked what his reasoning was for committing such a crime he simply shrugged before stating he was unhappy in his marriage. He showed no remorse in the atrocity he chose to enact on innocent people that did nothing wrong other than loving him. I decided for him to relive being murdered each day by his wife and children. Now, it is not his family in reality because they have moved on to their own afterlives and are happy but it is creatures that take on their being." I didn't look at her as I told her of the instance afraid of what I might see if she knew I was capable of such things.

"That is awful" she answers.

"It is, unfortunately, it is my purpose to decide fates no matter good or bad." I still haven't looked at her, but she is right. I am a monster that can punish others with no sorrow.

A light touch causes me to look up. Persephone's hand lays atop my forearm and her brows are pinched together as her green eyes watch me. "What he did is awful, not the punishment you decided for him. He deserved that and much more, the way I see it is you could have given him a much harsher existence, but you didn't."

She reaches forward and cups my cheek. The sadness I felt at her words evaporates and I welcome her touch and melt into her closing my eyes. I feel her weight shift, but I don't open my eyes afraid the emotions I am feeling will disappear. Her full lips press against my forehead and a sharp pang explodes in my chest. I take hold of her waist and pull her toward me enveloping her. We don't say anything further content in holding each other at this moment.