Chapter Nineteen - Persephone

The underworld is vast, and I'm not sure how much of it I've actually witnessed and what he chose to leave hidden. With my endless time in my room, Hade's explanation of the time difference of our worlds now makes it a little clearer. But my senses are jumbled, and my body doesn't know how to deal with the changes. I'm not even sure how long a typical day would equal here. Has it been a day since I've left home?

Each room has been more beautiful than the next. Intricate stonework marks each one, the style ranges, and they are placed around various locations. Every piece has been carved with care and an extreme sense of detail.

Reaching out, I trace the lines along the archway of a sitting area we just peered into "Who created this?"

"I did."

My finger stops, and I turn, glancing at Hades. He looks at me briefly before looking past me to the design on the wall. "Have you done every piece I have seen so far?"

He nods, placing his hands in his pockets.

"They're beautiful," I say, studying the archway in front of me. I have never been creative in this aspect – creating life with nature is different. It's a part of me. As if it's my purpose.

For a being that is associated with death, to create something such as this speaks volumes to the soul inside. The misconception associated with him makes me sad... for him. How often and long has he been misunderstood? How would that turmoil shape a person? Looking over at him, I get a clearer image.

Hades clears his throat, and I pull away. He steps next to me, his hands still within his pockets "I have one other room to show you."

He meets my gaze, flicking his eyes down the hall, indicating for me to follow the path. Our footsteps make soft sounds echoing off the rock around us. We don't speak as we walk, not that we have talked much during our time together.

As we turn a corner, growling like none I have heard before vibrates through my feet. The ferociousness sounds send shivers through my feet and up my legs centering in my stomach.

At the end of the hall facing us is the largest animal I have ever seen. Its teeth bared, each of its heads – yes there are more than one, is lowered as its bracing to pounce.

I clutch my chest as a gasp escapes my throat. I take a step back only to bounce off a solid force. A hand grips my shoulder as Hade's deep voice says, "Cerberus."