Chapter Forty Seven- Hades

The land is dead.

My last visit had been welcomed with lush green grass and the beautiful flowers of this very meadow. They had been all different colors but now the ones that remain are broken and brown. Death is what currently surrounds us. The trees are bare, the leaves are long gone. The grass is brittle and thin, bald spots litter the area. There is nothing present from the time before.

"What happened?" I ask as I try to figure out what possibly caused this.

"It began slowly after she left. I didn't think it to be a reason for concern but when it continued and everything died, I didn't know what to do. All I know is that she has to come home for this to stop" Demeter says the concern clear in her words.

I don't say anything. What could I say? Demeter isn't wrong but what would I do without her. Returned to the silence and loneliness after experiencing such happiness.

"I don't know what will become of it if she doesn't," Demeter says her footsteps crunching over the hard ground.

What would Persephone think if she saw what has become of her most treasured meadow? I know she has missed it. She has painted several pictures of it in her room. My thoughts come up short as one thought comes from the darkness. I don't know whether to be happy or worried about the conclusion.

"She has eaten within the Underworld; you know what that means. She can't leave even if she wanted to."

Demeter releases a breath "I know but you come to this plane as often as you like. Why can't she be the same?"

I can't contain the shock of her statement. Scoffing I look over at her "We are not the same. Yes, she is your child but you should know that answer before even saying the words." Her shoulders slump at my response. "Did you think the rules wouldn't apply to her? Is that why you were okay with sending her?"

"I didn't know what would happen, she isn't human" she exclaims. Her dress billows around her as she begins to walk around the meadow "But I also didn't know this would happen!"

Dread sinks in the pit of my stomach as I take in her reaction "You didn't tell her, did you?"

Demeter pauses her rampage around the dead earth "No."

My heart stops at the thought of Persephone being unaware this entire time of her being trapped. She would not have come if she would have known. "You said you explained everything to her!" my anger takes over at the thought of losing Persephone over this. The roar in my ears is overwhelming and I feel as if a great wave has knocked me off my feet.

Demeter shows no change in emotion as she stares at me "I may have told a little lie."

Yanking my hands through my hair I try to think of how to handle this. Of course, Persephone would want to come back to save the land she loves, I can't fault her for that. It's actually why I care for her. The passion that flows through her is intoxicating and what made me fall in love with her. Love... gods I love her and I am about to lose her.

"Let's go speak to her" I order my tone hard and flat as I transport back home without even glancing at Demeter.

Home...it hadn't been home in some time and wouldn't be any longer after this moment.