Chapter Forty-One- Persephone

"You handled that well" Hades says brushing a strand of my dark hair off my shoulder. The compliment makes my cheeks flare, the heat coursing through my limb pooling in my core. It wasn't just the words he said but the tone they were delivered in. I reveled in the way he appreciated what I had done. I showed him and myself what I was capable of during those moments. No matter how small it may have been.

"I'm glad I could help. That one was harder, but I'm glad I got to see how they can vary" I say looking up at him.

"Unfortunately there is another side of it all" he traces light movements on my shoulder where his hand rests. Even with the fabric of the dress between our skin, tingles shoot through me but I suppress the shudder building within me. I concentrate and replay his words in my mind "What do you mean? What other side?"

"Everyone does not deserve to go to their afterlife. We provide judgment and the ones that do not deserve it have to be punished accordingly. They are taken to Tartarus where such things are acted out" Hades explains yet another part of his world.

The light movements on my shoulder have stopped. He is once again staring at me trying to see if he has overwhelmed me. He is expecting me to have a meltdown of throw my arms up before running away. I honestly had not thought about the bad souls. I mean I know there are bad people but I have never encountered one that I am aware of. That may have been a deliberate act on my mother's part come to think of it. I know about good versus evil situations. Not from living through them but from stories my mother and her siblings have told.

"Where is Tartarus?" I ask showing none of the emotions he expected, I show interest surprising him yet again.

"It is in the deepest depths of the realm. Only I can transport someone there so do not worry about what could come from there. I wouldn't let any that have crossed those gates step back onto this surface of any other" he answers his silver eyes brightening as he reaches for my hand. Squeezing it his eyes stare into mine though they take on a faraway look "I do not want you to witness the acts that are enacted there. But you will meet such monsters that deserve whatever it is that is decided for them. Those decisions will also be yours to make at times."

I furrow my brows asking, "How do I know if it is a bad soul? I didn't know with Iris whether she was or not I just assumed and believed her story."

"Come, let's have dinner and I will explain," he says gently tugging my hand. He leads me from the room. A room that even though looks to be just another room has a heavy presence about it now.