Chapter Twenty - Hades

The growls stop abruptly when he hears my voice. Cerberus relaxes, no longer down on his paws about to attack. His heads tilt in different directions as he studies Persephone. More curious now than threatening.

I poke her back, telling her its okay to continue. Cerberus's noses turn upward as we step closer. He takes several short breaths before he completely relaxes and runs the brief distance to us.

I feel Persephone tense at his approach to which I stroke her arm attempting to ease her nervousness.

I am aware of the posture Cerberus takes. "No," I say, stopping him before he jumps and takes her to the floor in the process. He follows the command – sitting just a foot in front of her. Six black eyes stare eye level with her begging for her attention.

It seems I am not the only creature to be affected by her.

Persephone has made no move toward him. Leaning down I say, "It's okay. You can put him out of his misery and pet him."

Cerberus's tail begins to wag, his anticipation growing as he waits not so patiently. She tentatively reaches her hand out and inches it toward him. His feet begin bouncing at the sight of her decision, his excitement evident. She stops just before reaching him as if she was questioning her decision.

She remains frozen for just a moment before reaching through the remainder of the space and places her hand on his middle head. Her fingers flex and comb through his black fur before she begins to stroke the center of his head and down his neck. Six eyes turn to four as his eyes roll back as the pleasure of her touch takes hold.

Soon his other two heads begin to whine at the lack of attention. Persephone smiles removing her hands from the one and placing one hand on the right and one hand on the left of his heads. The same reaction is exhibited on their faces. Cerberus's middle head leans forward and he licks her cheeks, reaching up she takes both sides of his face.

Giggling she says, "It's nice to meet you."

Barks reverberate around us as his delight overflows from the puppy within. She turns to me, her face glowing with happiness. My breath hitches at the sight of her smile, a smile of pure joy. The happiness radiating from her enhances her beauty enriching each of her features. It's as if the sun itself is emanating from her.

"He's the sweetest," she says, turning back to Cerberus. Rubbing his heads vigorously she changes her tone as she speaks to him "You may look scary, but you are just a baby. Aren't you?"

Cerberus's tail is beating against the floor, his barks answering her question happily.

My lips turn up at the sight of their interaction. Here she has turned the guardian of the dead into a ball of mush. A creature who is created to destroy any other within seconds.

I have yet to figure out what is it about her but there is a light shining from within her unlike any I have witnessed from another living creature before.