Chapter 35

Recap:

A knock at the door cuts me off. Lily opens it to reveal a dashing Stefan. "Rose! You look breathtaking! You just continue to shock and amaze me."

"As do you." I grin, blushing at his compliment. I feel just as happy and giddy as I did the very first time I met him, and the first time he ever complimented me.

"I'm here to escort you to our engagement party. Shall we, Miss Princeton?"

"Why we shall, Mr Williams."

Let's Have A Ball

"Are you ready?" We're stood behind the double doors at the top of the grand staircase, waiting to make our entrance.

"As ready as I'll ever be." I breathe. Tonight's the night I'm being officially introduced as Stefan's fiancé. Even I can hardly believe it. The royal family have invited all the nobles of the land; and tonight they'll be meeting me and I meeting them for the first time. It's a big night that's for sure - a very big deal. I release Stefan's hand and step to the side as I hear the gong signalling it's time for Stefan to make his entrance.

"His Royal Highness the Crown Prince Stefan Arthur Alexander Williams!" The doors open and Stefan makes his through them into the grand ballroom. Once they've closed behind him I move out of the shadows at the side and take my place, ready for my grand entrance. Taking a deep breath, I hear clapping on the other side of the door. Then, the gong sounds again.

It's time.

"Introducing Miss Rosaline Princeton, the fiancé of Prince Stefan Arthur Alexander Williams."

The doors open. I take a final deep breath, in an attempt to steady my nerves, before stepping through the doorway and making my way to the top of the stairs. The sound of applause is deafening and it takes everything in my power not to faint there and then. Instead I force a wide smile and raise my hand offering a restrained wave - as instructed earlier. Then, I take my skirt in each hand to make my way down the stairs. I practiced descending these stairs without looking down tens of times today; and I'm so thankful for that now. Taking care to keep a smile on my face, my head and eyes up and my pace steady, I glide down them - with an elegance I never thought possible - to where Stefan waits for me at the bottom.

After what feels like years, I reach him and he extends his arm to me. Linking my arm in his, I allow him to lead me to the centre dance floor. It is up to us to lead the first dance. Following this first dance, we will make our way to the grand dining room for a splendid and extravagant dinner before returning to the ballroom for the rest of the evening to mingle and dance the night away.

"You look breathtaking this evening my lady. And you're entrance was simply amazing." Stefan whispers as we position ourselves on the dance floor. We've spent the last couple of days, since I've been here, practicing this very dance. It's so etched into my brain that I can pretty much perform it from muscle memory now.

"Thank you. I've never felt so scared in my life. I felt like was going to pass out." I laugh shakily.

"Well you didn't look it. You look like a natural; like you've been doing it all your life. You're really one of a kind aren't you. I'm so glad I found you."

Once we finish our dance, following another round of applause, we lead the guests into the dining room. The room has a long, rectangular table the opposite end to the entrance and 12-15 smaller round tables dotted around the rest of the space. There are 7 seats at the head table, for the King and Queen, Stefan, Laura, Damon, Dylan and myself.