Chapter 17

Recap:

It's been three hours since dinner now. I glance at my clock and see its 22:17. He's not coming. I know deep down I was waiting for him. But he's not coming. Reluctantly, I slip my feet under the covers. I'm about to lie down when there's a knock on my door. I stand up and make my way to the door. There, on the other side, stands a very dishevelled looking Stefan looking only half of full glory. He looked tired and something tugs at my heart.

"Can we talk?"

Loosing You

Stefan's sat on my bed while I hover awkwardly.

"Here, come sit next to me." He pats the space next to him on the bed, so I hesitantly slide into his arms.

"Stefan?" My voice is small; he hasn't said anything since I sat down and for the first time, I can feel the tension in the silence.

"I-Rose..." he pauses, seeming to struggle with the words. "We can't do this. It's over."

The words are like a punch to my gut. I blink, and scoot away from him sitting upright and staring at him. "W-what?" The words come out as a whisper.

"I-I'm sorry..." he lifts his eyes to meet mine. They're dull, sad: in pain. And then, suddenly, it's gone. Standing up, he looks at me with blank, distant eyes. He coughs, as if clearing his throat, before heading to the door. "This is over. I'm done." His voice is cold and even, and he doesn't even bother to turn around to tell me why. And with that, he leaves my room.

I'm left in my room alone ... stunned and surprised. What happened?

The feeling of shock morphs into sadness. He looked so sad and pained; I know it's only been a short time but we connected. Didn't we? And it was a real connection. Wasn't it? He seemed so genuine... I thought it meant something...

Now all I feel is anger. Did he ever like me? Was he just using me? Taking advantage of me? How could he be so cold and heartless? Those eyes... the image of his cold and blank stare bore into me.

And now there's sadness... the pain in his eyes. I don't even realise I'm crying until a tear lands on my leg. And from then on, they only get heavier. I fall into a troubled and uneasy sleep crying into my pillow, images and memories of a certain prince plaguing me.

➰➰➰

"Rosa?" Something is shaking me violently. Groaning loudly, I peek out of my duvet to see Lexi shaking me.

"Go away." I huff. It's been two weeks since Stefan came to see me. Two weeks of absolute torture. I've been faking illness, refusing to leave my room and face anyone. They must think I have the plague, but somehow I've managed to be left alone undisturbed. I didn't want to risk seeing Stefan's damn face...

Somehow I even managed to avoid the announcement of the girls having the leave the competition. Don't know how I swung that; and even more surprisingly - how was I not one of them? He comes to end it with me - with no explanation, the night before the announcement, and yet he didn't send me home? I don't know whether to be angry or hopeful...

"No. Stop moping." Sighing loudly, I eventually let Lexi pull me out of bed and push me into the shower. "You've been moping long enough, and it's family visiting weekend!" Her voice is muffled through the door but I hear her clearly enough. No way is it? I'd forgotten! I smile in excitement, I can't wait to see Em! And mum and dad...  I smile at the thought of them.

This news gives me some newfound excitement and I gather the energy to wash and dress up. I decide to choose a casual dress - Lily and Courtney left two options draped on one of the chairs in my room in the hope I'd be 'well' enough to brave outside my room. Bless them; they've been very good at leaving me to my own space. I think they must heard about me and Stefan, but they haven't said anything.