Chapter 5

Recap:

Exhausted, I finally crawl into my massive bed, undo the curtains and curl up with cuddles feeling a little homesick.

The Meeting

I can't sleep.

It's 22:04 and I've been trying to sleep for a couple of hours now. But I just can't seem to drift off.

My mind's too alive. Too awake. Thoughts are spinning everywhere preventing me from getting to sleep. I miss my family so much and wonder if they miss me as much as I miss them? What did they do today, after I left? How are they now? Are they thinking of me? Did they feel sorry for me or did it never cross their mind to be anything that but extremely proud of me for being selected?

What's the Prince like? Is he handsome? Is he nice? I remember my deal with Dylan but I'm reluctant to keep my side of the bargain. I will, but I can't say I'm exactly eager to...

Fed up of all these thoughts racing round me head, I stand up and slip out of my room. I hope it's not against the rules, but I decide to take a wander of the palace anyway. I just need some fresh air.

➰➰➰

I find myself on the ground floor wandering the corridors. I have no idea where I am or where I'm going but I need the walk. I need the time to clear my head.

I turn a corner, when a guard suddenly calls out to me.

"Excuse me? Excuse me! You there, please stop. You're not allowed to be here overnight." I turn to see a guard approaching me and I sigh.

"I'm in my night clothes. Of course I'm meant to be here!" I retort. "No matter how much I really don't want to be..." I mutter mainly to myself.

"You need to leave."

"No! I'm being serious. I'm one of the selected-"

"That's enough." The guard cuts me off and grabs me, flinging me over his shoulder. I wriggle in his grasp but cannot free myself. Welp... this escalated. What the heck am I going to do now?

"Put her down." A deep voice that sends involuntary shivers down my spine interrupts us and I sigh in relief. Thank you. The guard places me down and I turn to see a young man who looks to be only one or two years older than me. He's devilshy handsome. Actually, I've got to admit, he's seriously hot. He has brown eyes and a well defined face. His eyebrows are ever so slightly creased in confusion as he looks at me. He has an intensity to him-I can't explain it. And he holds himself tall - proud almost. His face is set firm, but his eyes sparkle slightly.

I'm suddenly very aware of my minimal attire. I tug at my shorts awkwardly biting my lip nervously. I feel like I'm being examined under a microscope almost, yet something about his gaze makes me tingle all over.

"Thank - thank you! I'm Rosaline. Rosaline Princeton." I finally manage to get out. A look of recognition passes through his eyes but I don't know why. I've never met this guy in my life. "...And who are you?"

His eyebrows shoot up as he looks at me, clearly genuinely shocked.

"You really don't know who I am?" He asks incredulously. I frown and shake my head.

"I only arrived in England yesterday. I'm here for the Prince..."

This causes the young man to laugh and I'm instantly mesmerised by the sound of it. It's angelic-beautiful. "I know." He chuckles.

"What? But how-"

"Uhh lady, that's-"

"Thank you, that'll be all." The handsome young man cuts the guard off. With a swift nod, the guard offers a small smile before turning on his heel and matching down the corridor.