𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑻𝒘𝒐

27th of April, 2016

The continuous sound of a beeping monitor was the first thing I woke up to.

I grunted in severe pain, trying to figure out where I was and Why that annoying monitor was still beeping.

Since I couldn't move properly and my eyes were still too heavy to open, I decided to listen well to any familiar voice. Sure enough, I heard my elder sister's voice and I began to wonder how she found me. But my subconsciousness corrected me saying;

I think the more reasonable question you should be asking is. Where are you??

The sound of footsteps interrupted my thoughts and I paid attention to the direction. From the sound of The echo of the footstep, It was heading towards me and the owner of the footstep spoke.

"Hey, sis. Sorry, you landed in the hospital... Again. Umm pls, use your drugs, respond to treatment and get better. Or better still just die already since you're just a liability to us all!"

She whispered the last part so only I could hear and I mentally rolled my eyes at her. It's one thing for the whole world to be against you, constantly hating on you because of your flaws. It's another thing entirely for your flesh and blood, your own elder sister to hate on you like everyone else.

I'm used to it though, but it doesn't mean I don't feel hurt by her words.

I still couldn't open my eyes to see the look on her face, so I just gave her a fake smile so she could know I heard her. She scoffed at me and walk away slamming the door of my ward on her way out.

Seconds later, I heard footsteps approaching and I just stayed quiet, praying for the life of me that it wasn't a serial killer. A deep husky voice spoke up and I was glad it was my doctor.

"Hello there, Maddylen Adeyemi Coker. I am your doctor. Dr. Temitayo Olumoroti. I have a few questions I want to ask you, please respond if you can hear me."

I took a moment to process what he had said before opening my mouth to talk. No word came out because my throat was too dry to make a sound. He must have noticed this small movement so he spoke up again saying.

"You Don't have to talk. Just you nodding to respond would do."

I nodded in response and he proceeded to ask me a few more questions which I only nodded to in response. Before he left, he gave me enough water to drink and told me he would be back at noon. I just nodded again, feeling very sleepy.

The fact that I still haven't been able to open my eyes worries me deeply but I shrugged it, considering the fact that my entire face was bandaged excluding my mouth.

12.02 pm.

I woke up again to the sound of my stomach grumbling and someone tapping me gently. I stared a bit to adjust myself on the bed before speaking.

"Hmm"

"I brought you lunch, fried rice, and Turkey."

The unfamiliar yet alluring and mesmerizing voice said. I began to wonder if I was hearing Things because this voice sounds like one who isn't old enough to be a nurse.

"Hey, it's okay if you feel uncomfortable. I as well will feel uncomfortable if a 19-year-old guy is going to be feeding me lunch since his mom couldn't do it,"

I chuckled, actually what came out of my mouth was way worse. I sounded like a horse about to take its dying breath. I guess he didn't mind what I sounded like because I heard his deep throaty chuckle that instantly melted my heart.

Who is this guy anyway? I asked myself, not being able to provide an answer to it. After a while of comfortable silence, I asked.

"I can't see anything. Why is my head bandaged?"

"Urr, I'm afraid I don't know much about your conditions. But I do know that you received a serious blow to the head but thankful no severe damage was done,"

"Oh!"

"Hey, at least a handsome-looking guy is here to spoon-feed you back to health, so that should cheer you up."

"Yeah, right. Don't kid yourself, I never said you're handsome."

"Ouch! Words hurt, you know,"

He responded and I laughed genuinely for the first time in a long time.

He fed me the food and I couldn't stop blushing, neither could I stop my heart from fluttering. I was just glad my head was cocooned in a bandage right now.

Immediately he was sure I was well fed, he stood up to take his leave and I felt a slight pang in my chest.

It's funny how I had gotten myself so attached to a stranger at the hospital. I didn't even know his name nor what he looks like, but the small amount of time that we spent together was enough to make me fall for him and now he was leaving.

The short closing of the door brought me out of my thought, he was gone already. I sighed knowing I would probably never see him again.

I laid there in the hospital bed all alone in my thoughts. I wondered If I would make it out of JSS3 without having to repeat the class if I'll ever get to be the assembly prefect I've dreamed to be if I'll ever get to graduated out of secondary school with my dyslexia.

I sighed, feeling so consumed by my thoughts that I didn't hear the door creaking.

"Good afternoon, miss Maddylen Adeyemi Coker. How are you feeling now?"

"Umm, I'm a lot better just a bit tired. When will I be discharged?"

"Soon, we just need to keep you here for another day to be sure you are ok,"

"Okay."

With that, the doctor squeezed my hands reassuringly and left shortly after. It was then it occurred to me, I should have asked about this bandage wrapped around my entire head. After a while of listening to the hustle and bustle going on in the hallway of the hospital, I drifted into sweet slumber again.

Three hours later I woke up to the sound of sirens and I was alarmed jottling out of bed immediately. I had no idea someone else was in the room until the person spoke holding me in place.

"Hey, calm down. It's nothing you should worry yourself about,"

It was that same unfamiliar
yet alluring and mesmerizing voice -which by the way was now familiar. Was he here to feed me my dinner because if so then I'm ready for this joy ride. I smiled as my racing heart instantly calmed done and I felt at peace again. Who is this guy and what have you done to me? I thought but my thoughts were interrupted by his words.

"I think the siren was from the ambulance, not the police so you can rest easy now,"

Seriously, who is this guy and how has he been able to turn you into a hot mess in a blink of an eye? My subconscious cornered.

I just giggled in response to what my subconsciousness said and what the supposed handsome stranger said. Second, he spoke up again saying,

"C'mon, you'll be out of here in no time but first I think I head someone's tummy roaring in hunger,"

"Yeah, pretty sure it's yours."

"Errr wrong. You're the only one who hasn't had dinner in this room so... Anyway, I brought homemade dinner for you."

"Aww what is it?"

"Beans cake and Checkers Custer."

I Smiled, little did he know that was my favorite food. My smile only got broader when he came close to adjust the pillow behind me so I could sit up.

This was going to be an interesting night. I thought to myself while leaving my mouth open so he could feed me.