𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑻𝒘𝒆𝒍𝒗𝒆

"The formula to find the Mean variant is..."

My earbuds were plugged in my ears and connected to my recorder, this one contained all my mathematical recordIng. It was Tuesday, I and a few others for different sets were in the school library during free period.

I was studying for our forthcoming exams, due to some reasons best known to them, they have chosen to delay our promotion exams, which were NECO and WAEC till the second week of August and we were only in the last few weeks of March.

I sighed, I was exhausted and I had only been studying for like 20 mins now and I feel exhausted. I was slowly feeling drowsy and I guess it's because Miss Ogene overfed me during lunch again. I smiled in contentment remembering the contest of the cooler of food she brought for me from home. She has been nothing but a sweetheart to me. It's just sad she would be leaving before my exams as her time here was limited. She was a youth coper after all and she was bound to leave any time soon.

I sighed focusing back on studying since that was the reason why I came to the library in the first place.

"Oh my goodness. What do we have here?"

"Urrrgh"

I said responding to that sick mind-numbing voice of Seyi, my nemesis. I just can't explain how or why but ever since I Leant she was the one that set me up with Jeremiah to break me further, I've loathed her.

Now, here she was in the library doing God knows what. It's obvious she wasn't here to study from how loud she was talking to whoever it was she was with.

"Oh my, didn't see you there Maddlyen. What are you doing here during the free period?"

"What exactly do you think I could be doing in the library?"

"Ugh, so you can read? Oh, wait you can't just listen to the recorder audio of your class. Poor shame!"

That was it. I am so going to beat the hell out of her if she ever makes fun of me one more time. To think we are the same age doesn't mean she had a right to disrespect me especially because she was the head girl. I was just glad she didn't ruin the sold one-hour study I was able to achieve.

"What do you want, Seyi?"

"What's the matter? Can't I visit the library anymore? After all, it's a school library for a reason, and please, mind your tone when talking to me! I am the head girl and I won't restrain myself if you disrespect me!"

"Sure thing, prefect Seyi," I said with so much pain and sarcasm in my voice.

I packed my things including my recording into my bag. Without another word, I headed to my class leaving her and the rest of the students in the library.

Just when I was about to step out of the library, she yelled loud enough for everyone in the library and in the hallway of the library to hear.

"Good luck learning how to read for your exam through a recorder,"

Immediately, everyone heard and they all busted out laughing like she had just cracked some kind of joke. Their laugher was echoing in my head and it didn't help that I was the reason why they were all laughing.

If I said I wasn't pained, then I was just trying to do hard girl, deep down, I was broken. Too broken to let it show so I went to look for Miss Ogene with a blurry vision due to the tears gathering in my eyes.

I got to her office and I was grateful she was the only one in at the moment, without notice, I broke down in front of her busting into loud tears.

This obviously got her off guard as she yelped in response. Once she notices it was me that startled her, she composed herself and came to my side which was on the floor behind the door. She smiled at me sadly, hugging me to herself already knowing why I was crying. She rubbed my back in a comforting circle as she hugged me trying her best to calm me down.