𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑭𝒐𝒖𝒓

I woke up the following morning with a migraine, wondering what must have caused it. It was then the bitter memories of what happened yesterday flooded my head making the migraine even worse.

It's Wednesday morning and I honestly was in no mood to be in the four walls of a School that frowns at even the slightest sound I make. Besides, it was 9 am so there was no way I was going to leave for school at that time.

I decided to stay at home and listen to all the recordings I have for all the subjects I've done in the past week and the week before. But first things first, I needed to pray and get my head cleared. I got out of the bed with my head in my hand. I was seriously having a migraine but I needed to pray first. Going on my two knees and my hands clapped together on the bed, I began to pray. I prayed for every one of my family members both the good, bad, and the ugly.

Once I was done, I cleaned the house and made sure the house was in order before finally having my bath and brushing my teeth. My head still hurts so I quickly went about in the kitchen to make noodles for brunch since it was almost noon. After slicing the carrot, green pepper, and onions, I began to make my Noddles, adding all the needed spices to make it extra spicy. Once I was done, I didn't wait to dish out the food, right there and then I devoured the noodles taking a bottle of coca-cola to push it down.

Once I was done eating I washed the pot and every other utensil I used in cooking. I made sure the kitchen looked spotless before heading to my room with bottled water and aspirin.

After using it, I went back to bed straight, praying and hoping I would wake up two hours later without any migraine. It was three minutes past three when I awoke. I was thankful my migraine was gone now.

I yawned loudly getting out of bed. I went to my study table pouring all my recorder on the table. I picked it at random and ended up with Basic science. I pressed the play button and started listening to the old records that were there. Once I was done listening, I moved to another subject picking it at random. I ended up picking Home- Economics, my favorite subject . I listened to the recording of that as well and I was thankful for the retentive memory God has given me so I could remember all this stuff I'm listening to.

By the time I had finished listening to Home Economics, it was past 5 and I had a ballet class to attend by 5:30. I quickly wore the rehearsal clothes that I had washed yesterday,  put on my already worn-out sneaker, and headed out of the house.

Descending the stairs I met my younger brother who was about to enter. I smiled at him in a warm loving way but I instantly regretted it because he inflicted a short sharp pain on my shoulder. I just groaned in pain saying.

"Welcome home, Michael,"

"Fuck off bitch!"

With that, he slammed the door to our apartment, leaving me alone on the stairs. I sighed but I wasn't going to let it get to me, descending the stairs, I headed out of our compound, and walked along  the street. Usually, seeing as I would be running late, I would have taken a bike that would drop me at no 7 modupe street, but right now I didn't have enough cash for the ridiculous prices the bike men in Lagos were going to charge. Since the location for my ballet rehearsal wasn't so far from my house which is at no 7 Folagoro street I decided to jog there.

Thank God I made that decision on time if not I would have been very late. I got there at 5:35 pm and rehearsal was just about to start. I quickly ditched my worn-out sneakers and wore my ballet shoe. They look better to me because I just bought them and I spent all my savings on them. I got in line with the rest of the crew as they had already started the usual warm-ups.

"1, 2, 3, 4, .... 5, 6, 7, 8"

We all hummed along to the counting of our institutions, Miss Mayowa Da-Costa. She was the only one who didn't despise me because of my reading disabilities. That's one of the reasons why I had respect for her and most of all I appreciate her more. She was a woman of class, grace, and elegance and she never failed to encourage me with her kind words. It still baffles me how she is single-handedly working in a law firm and has time for ballet classes.

"Oh, hey Maddylen. I didn't think you'd make it,"

I just smile at her as we rounded up our stretches before the real rehearsal. I had been practicing ballet for a  while now and I'm glad all my hard work is finally paying off. I was one of the top ballet students in her class and that's why half the time I was always taking the lead role.

"Alright. Enough warming ups. Let's try out a new routine for our upcoming competition,"

"Ma'am, when is the competition exactly?"

"September,"

I gasped, realizing I would be rounding up my WAEC exams that month. Doesn't this mean I won't be able to participate because of my exams? I thought, but my question was answered by the statement made by Miss Mayowa.

"Don't put up that worried face, Maddylen. I'm sure your exams would have ended before the competition,"

I giggled in response and she smiled at me. With that, we all followed her lead, trying out the new routine. Turns out the new routine was a lot of work but it will be worth it when we eventually win the competition, and I was praying that I would be the lead dancer this time around.

Anuoluwapo Johnson aka A.J and Jessica Okeke has been the one to take in the role of lead. By the time it was seven-thirty, we were done with the rehearsal and we were all heading home. The rest whose house were a bit farther from here left already. I was just the only one left in the building with Miss Mayowa Da-Costa. Just as I was about to leave, she spoke,

"Hold on Maddylen, let me give you a lift,"

"Oh no. It's okay, Miss Da-Costa. I'll be..."

"I insist... Please, and call me  by my name okay?"

"Alright," I said, knowing it was pointless to argue.

We left the building together and she dropped me off at home but not without sneaking 5 thousand naira into my pocket. I shook my head at her and she winked at me. She really was an Angel and I bless the Lord every day for sending her my way. She was the only one who really knew me for who I was.
To be honest, I'm glad she wasn't like The rest that was quick to judge and condemn me, un like my family member or my schoolmate.

"Hey, don't forget to always take a deep breath, calm down and smile,"

"Okay, miss Da... I mean Mayowa... Thank you,"

"Don't mention, kiddo,"

With that, she smiled once more and slowly zoomed off. While entering the house I made sure to keep the money in a more discrete place where no one else but me could reach it.

I kept it in my bra.