The Suited Man

The police now know everything we know. They’ve taken Alexia’s phone along with Riley’s to try and decode some things or to trace finger prints previously found on them. I still have that number though. It’s been three days, and they’ve been holding information back from us until they can confirm anything. And since Alexia has nothing against her right now, they can’t hold her.

               The guys and I have done our best even though we have no clue where to begin. Rian and Zack tell me it’s too much of a risk to repeatedly call or text that number. They say bad things could happen.

               Zack sighs and slams his phone into the tan couch, letting his head fall into his free hand. He scoffs at something and it catches me and Rian’s attention. “Is something wrong?” I ask and I immediately mentally smack myself.

               Zack lifts his head in a way that would make it look as if it were too heavy. It’s really shocking to see him like this. He’s always been the strongest out of all of us, both physically and mentally. Now here he is slouched over and weak looking. I purse my lips tightly together as his heavy eyes meet mine, which I assume look just the same. “I can’t trace the number.” He sighs.

               “I gave up on that yesterday.” Rian sounds in.

               “I don’t know where to start with anything to look for her. I’ve called home and she isn’t there either. They’re looking though.” I search my mind through the files. “Aren’t the police supposed to be doing that?”

               “Yes.” Zack answers. “I think they wanted to do finger printing first, though.”

               “Fucking idiots,” I hear Rian whisper under his breath as he shakes his head.  A moment of silence passes before he lifts it again to break up the deafening quiet. “Has Jack gotten anywhere?”

               “Other than to the store for comfort food, no.” I scoff slightly. Jack has taken this probably just as hard if not harder than me. He and Riley were best friends since they were younger. They’ve known each other longer than I’ve known either of them, which is only by two years, but still.

               As of by cue, Jack comes through the door with empty hands but a clustered mind. “Jack, hey –”

               “Let’s go.” He says and turns on his heels, stalking back out. The guys and I exchange a glance but follow him anyways. He leads us to a rented car and as we drive, he clutches the steering wheel, white fingers and red eyes. Rian sits in the passenger seat, demanding answers from this unusually cold Jack. The ride exceeds fifteen minutes before we realize the same car has been following us the whole time very closely.

               “Jack, who’s behind us?” I demand, my voice weak and as pale as his knuckles.

               “The guys.” He answers shortly.

               “Tell us what the fuck is going on or we’re calling them.” Rian demands, pulling his phone from his pocket and Jack sighs heavily but keeps his mouth shut. “I’m not bluffing.”

               But before Rian can pull up the number or make any more threats, the car slows down and pulls into the police station.

               “What’s going on?” Vic shouts as we all get out of our cars and follow Jack. I’ve never seen him with this kind of emotion. I can’t tell if he’s angry or determined or numb, or maybe even crazy.