Don't Leave Me On A Bad Note

I watch as the guys take their place on the stage after the intermission for their set. The first song they play is ‘Lullabies’ for Thomas, Alex’s brother. The crowd settles and I watch the glowsticks and flashing cameras wave back a forth to the song. I hear footsteps and turn around to face Jaime and Mike. I smile at them and look back to Alex.

               “What’s this song about?” I hear Mike say as he starts the second go through on the chorus.

               “It’s about his brother Thomas.” I answer. “He committed suicide and that’s why Alex has anxiety attacks, I think. It took a toll on him.”

               “Oh,” Mike says, almost like he regrets asking. “Wow, I’m sorry.”

               “It’s okay,” I look back and smile at him genuinely. Next to him, Jaime is smirking. Furrowing my brows together, I ask, “What are you up to, Hime Time?”

               His smirk grows and he looks over at Mike, who seems to have some sort of realization. “Ah,” He says with a smile. He looks to me and then his eyes flicker to the stage as the song ends. I follow his gaze, but everything seems normal to me. Alex lets his guitar hang and he holds the microphone, sighing with a smile dancing across his soft lips.

               “This next song is a new one. It’s not actually on our album,” He pauses to laugh and take a swig of his water. “It’s a song I wrote about someone very special to me.” The crowd echoes in immediate ‘awes’ and my stomach tightens and I feel my palms get sweaty. Stealing a quick glance back at Mike and Jaime, I see them nudging one another and they wink in my direction.

               “Jaime!” I shout quietly. “Why didn’t you tell me he was playing this?” As he shrugs, his smirk grows wider, if possible. “Wait, is there more to this!”

               Before he can answer, Alex’s voice echoes in my ears and I turn back around to watch him. “It’s about my beautiful girlfriend, Riley.” And with that, the crowd cheers as he looks back, finding my eyes. “Come on out, babe.” He smiles and waves his hand. Violently, I shake my head. All of those people? Looking at me? Is he nuts!

               “Go!” Jaime nudges me.

               “No, God damn it, Jaime.” I protest as Tony comes up, the same smug look they all are carrying. He walks past Mike and Jaime and to me. “Tony,” I say cautiously, putting my hands up in defense. “You wouldn’t!”

               “I would,” He chimes in and throws me over his shoulder. My face burns as the lights hit me, not from heat, from embarrassment. I hear Alex’s laugh echo through the microphone along with the crowd of people. Tony drops me next to Alex and walks away.

               “I hate you,” I whisper to him, but the microphone picks it up anyways and I wince as I hear my voice being propelled through the venue.

               “I love you too, Ri.” He laughs and slings an arm around me. “Jack?” He says and Jack walks up to me, microphone in hand. He places it in my sweaty palm with a wink and returns to his spot. “I saw that wink, Jack!” Alex calls back to him. “Anyway,” Alex says and turns to me. “I want you to sing the chorus with me, please?” His eyes plead.

               My heart excels in my chest and my hearing buzzes away for a minute as I look at his eager eyes. “Alex,” I start and he nudges the microphone to my lips.

               “Please,” He begs and the audience sounds chants for us.

               Alex kisses me quickly and I hear shouts and screams. The bright lights still hits my eyes and leaves me instead of seeing black, but seeing a skin tone color. “Fine,” I whisper against his lips as he pulls away, but the microphone insists on shouting it to the world.