Remembering Wednesday

“I..” I’m speechless. I watch his eyes, they’re watching my every move. Is he serious? He’s eager and jumpy like a little boy. I feel his grip on my hand tighten. He’s worried, but so am I. What if he’s using me? He’s such a flirt. What if I’m part of it? “I’ll be right back.” I manage out. I’ll talk to Jack. Alex and Jack are best friends, if anyone knows, it’s Jack.

                “But,” He looks down. He releases my hand and his body droops. My heart aches a little. I leave his room and I shut the door behind me, locking that pain with him inside. I walk to the spare bedroom to find Jack flung all over the bed.

                “Jack.” I say quietly as I turn the light on. He rolls over and groans. “Jack,” I say louder. “I need you.” He sighs and sits up. I walk over and plop myself next to him.

                “What is it, Riley?” His annoyance goes away when he sees the look on my face. “What’s wrong?” He asks softly.

                “Alex wants to be with me,” I blurt out.

                “So? That’s good, isn’t it? I know you like him and it’s obvious he has a thing for you.” His brows furrow together and he runs a hand through his hair.

                “He flirts around and.. I’m scared that what if I’m only another girl to him?” I bite my lip.

                “Believe me, you’re not. I can see it in his eyes. He cares a lot about you. I see you care about him too. Go back to him and tell him yes, for God’s sake.” He rolls back down under the covers.

                “Thanks, Jack.” I smile and head back to Alex’s room. Before I knock, I hear him speaking to someone over the phone.

                “She just walked out..” He trails off. I hear the hurt in his voice. He waits for a reply. “Thanks, Jess. I’ll be over tomorrow after school.” I hear him cheer up a bit. No. No. No. please, no. Jack was wrong. He found backup already. A Plan B. How could I be so stupid? That kiss. It runs through my head as I walk away from the door and make my way downstairs to the couch.

                I cuddle up with the pillows and take deep breaths. How could he? Everything we did tonight was a lie. It was nothing. I’m nothing…

                The day goes by too slow for me. I see Alex throughout the day and he doesn’t make eyecontact with me at all. He’s been around Jess, and he’s smiling. I’ve been silent despite Jack asking me what happened last night and what exactly was going on. The truth is, I don’t even know what’s going on. How could he rebound so fast? What made him think it was all okay?

                When the day was over, Jack and I made our way to his house which wasn’t too far. We’d much rather been driven there by Alex, but he went to see Jess. Rian, Jack, Zack, and I all had to walk back to Jack’s place.  “What exactly happened?” Zack asks.

                “We went swimming and we kissed and everything was perfect.” I start. “After some things happened,” I say, skipping over the part about the police. “We came back. He asked to be with me and I was afraid of how flirty he was with so many people before. So I went to ask jack and I went back to say yes and he had moved on to Jess already.” A frown creeps onto my face and Rian wraps an arm around me.

                “I can’t really explain that.” He says, bewildered.

                “I mean, it was obvious he cares about you.” Jack scratches the back of his head in confusion.