Hand Lock Caught

“Hey, Ri!” Jack calls to me from down the school hallway. I smile and wave. He slowly jogs over. “Are you coming by tonight?”

“For what?” I shut my locker and we begin walking out of the building. The halls are nearly empty now. This is my last week in high school as a senior. I couldn’t be more excited, or have more of that “I’m going to pee my pants” feeling.

Jack looks at me like I’m crazy. “Movie night! We planned this weeks ago, Riley!” He laughs. “I got the guys coming over and we’re celebrating like kids. It’s our graduation party, but a child version.”

“Shoot, I forgot. Yeah, I’ll be over.” I smile. Of course we planned something no one else would. Every other senior is going to drink and party and have sex. “Oh, wait,” I say, finally realizing what he’d said.

“What is it? Is something wrong?” He furrowed his dark eyebrows and narrowed his eyes. He held the school door open for me. Fresh air.

“The guys, as in Alex?” I ask nervously. I’ve had a major crush on him since we were buddies in middle school. I see him a lot since we’re both friends with the guys. He seems to be very flirtatious with a bunch of girls. He’d never be interested in me if he has them. I mean, we have our usual flirty banter, but for him, I think it’s just fun.

Before Jack has a chance to answer, he’s here in front of me. His gorgeous eyes and his perfect grin. He smiles down at me; he’s a good five inches taller than me. I’m not complaining. “Hey, Riley.” He says and hugs me. My heart stutters as my lips do. I say nothing. He smells of warm cinnamon. Mmm. I smile. His hug is so warm, so protecting. I feel his arms alone could hold back one thousand men when he hugs me. This feeling drops as he releases me. I feel Jack’s gaze and I look down, avoiding Alex seeing my blushing face.

“You’re coming tonight, right Alex?” Jack saves me. We start making our way to Jack’s house. I text my mom and remind her I’ll be gone for the night.

“Yeah, I am. Zack can’t make it. His girlfriend is having her own party so he’s going to see her.” Alex says and opens the passenger side door for me. I hop in as Jack gets in behind me.

“Haha, right. Party.” Jack winks at Alex and I. We all laugh as Alex begins the drive home. “Rian said he’ll be by later around nine. His mom is taking him out to eat.” Jack adds.

“Damn, everyone’s bailing.” Alex mutters and shakes his head jokingly. I put down my window and pull my black hair back into a bun. As my arm lays out the window, Alex rolls down the rest and turns on Blink-182. We all sing along on the way to Jack’s place. I love Alex’s voice. He’s a beautiful singer. He makes my day when he allows me to watch him and his band practice. I’m so proud of them. I think they are applying for Hopeless Records or something. At least, I hope they do it soon.

Alex pulls in the driveway and rolls the windows back up. He looks over at me and smiles. Instantly I find myself blushing. “What?” I ask shyly.

“I love your voice, Riley.” He whispers to me and smiles. “I wish you’d sing with me one day in a song.” He looks down at his hands.

I sigh. “I don’t know, Alex. I-” Jack knocks on Alex’s window.

“C’mon, guys!” He groans. As we get out of the car, Alex’s phone rings. I don’t want to listen in. I run to catch up with Jack. “You guys.” Is all he says. I scratch the top of my head and look down. I hear Alex run to catch up to us as we walk in the house. He looks bothered.

“Sorry,” He says, referring to the phone call. “It was Alexia.” Alexia. Alexia is Alex’s ex-girlfriend of two years. They broke up six months ago. I sigh and Jack looks at him questioningly, waving his hand in circular motions for him to go on. “She wanted to come by tonight. I tried telling her no, that it was just us. She was too persistent so I gave in, but she’s only coming over until seven. She’ll be here soon.”