t w o

"I already said no." Drew slammed his locker and threw his backpack over his shoulder.

"C'mon, Drew!" Aaron whined at his shoulder, "He's not that bad! I met the dude, he's pretty cool! And hot too, wow, but still!"

"Oh, so he's nice and attractive? You take him around then, and leave me out of it."

"Uh, Blake doesn't want me hanging around with him."

"Blake doesn't care what you do, don't give me that baloney." Drew stared at Aaron, the words, 'You stupid,' spelt across his expression.

"Okay, that that excuse fell through, it's okay, I have seven more lined up."

"What's really going on here? Don't even try to lie to me, you suck at lying." Drew put a hand on his hip.

Aaron fluttered around guiltily, stuffing in his hands in his pockets. "I-I finally got Blake to go on a date with me."

"Hah, what's the actual reason?"

"That is the actual reason! I'm taking him to go see American Sniper."

"What-- really?" Blake told him he'd never even consider going out with "that stupid, persistent meathead" in Blake's words.

"Yeah, took me a while too," Aaron said sheepishly, dragging a hand through his already messy blond hair. "He was really insistent on seeing this movie."

"Yeah, he's wanted to see it for a while now, but I thought we were going together. Ouch." That one kinda stung. Fine then, Blake, wanna be that way, be that way.

"So-- so can you do it?" Aaron asked tensely. "If you really, really, really don't want to, I will; I'm semi-sure I can reschedule with Blake."

Oh, the blackmail is strong with this one, "Fine, but he better be the nicest alpha I've ever met or I'll..." He paused, "or I'll think of something."

"You are the best!" Aaron captured him in a bone-cracking hug that left him feeling both proud of his good deed, and closer to death.

Blake appeared at Drew's elbow just then, "Hey."

"Hey, Blake, your date's here!" Drew sing-songed irritatingly.

Blake smacked him on the back of the head, "Kai is already in the office, get a move on, asshole."

"I can take a hint," Drew muttered. "Later love birds!" He dodged Blake's second swipe at him and ran off.

The office wasn't too far away, so it only took a few seconds to get there. He arrived at the glass door with Office scrawled on it, and his smile fell off his face.

He knocked. "Come in!" The principal, a former teacher in her fifties, called. He shoved open the door.

Mrs. Becker, with her graying brown hair in a bun and her glasses hanging off her shirt, sat behind her desk. She was smiling, and Drew vaguely wondered what the stupid alpha could have done to make her smile on the first day. "Hello, Drew," she said. "Take a seat."

He shrugged his backpack off and collapsed in one of the chairs. "Hi, Mrs. Becker, how're you doing?"

"Doing well, and yourself?"

"I'm okay."

"Excellent. Kai, this is Drew, he'll be taking care of you. Any questions, ask him. He's an excellent student, so you two should get along well."

'Taking care of you.'

Drew turned stiffly; he'd refrained from looking at the alpha until now.

Sitting in the chair next to him was a tall, obviously alpha male. He had dark brown hair and strong features, and his eyes made Drew want to shrink down and head for the hills at the same time. He was attractive, Drew admitted sullenly, but his strong scent of alpha, similar to pine being burned ruined it. Drew resisted the urge to crinkle his nose at the powerful scent, but couldn't hide the disdain in his eyes as he stuck out a hand to shake.

Kai smiled politely, taking Drew's hand in a warm grasp and shaking it firmly. Drew shuddered at the contact, ignoring the little zings of electricity that sailed up his arm at the light touch.

"Nice to meet you, my name's Kai," he said in a deep voice.

"I know," was the short reply. "Let's go." Drew dropped Kai's warm hand, his hand feelingly oddly cold, and picked up his backpack.

"Uh, Drew, just a second, please. Kai, go ahead, he'll join you in just a second."

Kai nodded and picked up his agenda. He strode out of the room. "Just wait out here, then?"

"Yes please." The door clicked shut. "Drew! What are you doing?"

"I thought I was taking him around school?" Drew said dully.

"I mean, what's with the attitude? You were incredibly rude just then! Kai is a very sweet boy. I know you've had issues with alphas before, but-"

"Issues? I've been tripped, pushed, and shoved into lockers for hours at a time until the janitor found me. Those are issues? Just because I want to play a sport? Sorry if I can't be the most welcoming person, but as far as I know, alphas cause me nothing but misery." Drew stood, his face blank. "I'll take him around school, but don't expect me to be his friend because I won't."

Mrs. Becker sighed and gave him a sad smile. She gestured to the door. "You're excused."

"Thank you."

"Bye, Drew."

He nodded and opened the door. Kai was waiting right outside, propped against the wall. He pushed away from the wall as soon as he saw Drew. "Hey."

Drew said nothing but started walking down the hall towards Kai's first class.

"Woah, wait up!" Kai jogged to catch up and walked beside Drew, his longer legs allowing him to easily keep up with Drew's quick strides. "So where are we going?"

"Spanish."

"Cool, what do we do in that class?"

"Learn Spanish, idiot."

"Okay then," Kai didn't look off put by Drew's frankly hostile answers. "Then what?"

"Math."

"Wow, math is so early in the morning? I read somewhere that the human brain isn't awake until like, 10:30. Maybe that's why I've never been good at math then," he joked, "Math was early at my old school as well."

"Hmm."

"You don't talk much, do you?"

"I do. Just not to you."

"You know, alphas probably mess with you because of that attitude you got going on. Little tip: we don't like being told what to do."

Drew stopped dead and turned around slowly. Kai almost took a step back at the waves of hatred that seeped from Drew's body. "You listened in on our conversation?" he hissed.

"No! I just have really good hearing. Comes with the whole alpha thing..." Kai trailed off. Mentioning special traits of alphas probably wasn't the brightest thing to do at this moment.

"Let me tell you something, Alpha," Drew spit out. "I'm doing this because I was forced to, and don't forget I know all the best places to stick someone where they won't be found for hours because your kind put me there." He drew himself up to his full height, which was still a good three inches shorter than Kai's. "So don't cross me."

All of a sudden, Kai's face darkened. Noticing this, Drew took a step back nervously, his omega side wanting to either run or sit down hard on the ground. Smiling sadistically, Kai advanced on Drew until his back hit the lockers. He winced as a lock dug into his back. Kai placed a hand on the side of Drew's head, trapping him. "You really think you're strong enough to put me anywhere I don't want to go, little omega?"

Drew's eyes glinted, and Kai didn't even see it coming when Drew bought his knee up, slamming it as hard as he could into Kai's crotch.

He went down like the Titanic, rolling around in pain. Drew smiled and knelt by Kai. Leaning down, he whispered in Kai's ear, "Actually, yes. I do."