e l e v e n

"Dude, why's this bothering you so much?" Zachary asked through a mouthful of his sandwich.

Kai glared at his friend. "Oh, I'm sorry; I didn't know it was bad to get mad over being repeatedly shut down and insulted! I saved the guy's life, and he becomes friends with the guy who nearly killed him and still hates me!"

Zachary gave him a look. "But you know he doesn't like alphas, so why are you still trying?"

"I dunno, I guess I like the challenge? Nah, that's not it. The boy's not a challenge, he's a dang impossibility."

"Do you lllllike him?" The omega rolled his tongue, smirking like an adder.

"What? No! What kind of idiot would like that ass," Kai grumbled, taking a vicious bite into his sandwich.

"Uh, apparently you. Did you know that you lick your lip when you're lying?"

"I do not!" Kai said. His tongue flitted out and swiped along his bottom lip.

Zachary looked positively smug. "Sure, Kai. Whatever makes you happy. Meanwhile, everyone around me is getting crushes and falling in love and bonding n' stuff, and here I am, drowning my sorrows in my sandwich." He held up the half eaten sandwich.

"I feel you, bro," Kai said, holding up his sandwich in a salute.

"Now why can't I find a super sexy alpha to sweep me off my feet? I still can't believe I let you slip through my fingers..."

Kai smiled. He'd had to tell Zachary he wasn't interested four times before he believed him and stopped asking. Fortunately, it didn't affect their friendship, but Zachary still cracked jokes about it.

"I'm just teasing don't worry," Zachary said with a grin, "I'm not about to jump your bones, so you can relax."

"Maybe I would if you would stop making jokes about it all the time..." Kai muttered. "It makes me think you're still interested."

Zachary shrugged. "Maybe I am."

Kai grinned, "Oh, really?"

"Well, you never know...."

Kai looked at him with half-lidded eyes before scoffing and shoving Zachary's face away. "Stop being a dork and eat your sandwich, you weirdo."

Zachary  picked up his sandwich. "So what's your plan of attack?"

"My what?" Kai asked, reaching around the omega to pick up his food.

"Ya know, plan of attack. How you plan to get the guy you're practically drooling over?"

"I don't have a plan of attack." Sort of.

"Riiiiiiight. Explain the texts then."

Kai started. He stared at the devious little dork before gasping. "You little dweeb! You went through my phone!"

"Who, me?" Zachary said innocently. He made a halo over his head with his thin fingers. "I'm an angel, I would never do that."

Kai viciously tickled his sides until he was laughing so hard he had tears streaming down his face, "NO NO NO, I GIVE, I GIVE!" He panted, catching his breath. "Yeah, I did, but c'mon, it was unlocked! What did you expect?"

"You to not go through my phone!"

Zachary shrugged, the little minx. "Oops. Anyways, so when are you gonna tell Drew that you're Arrogance?"

"Shhh!" Kai covered his mouth with his hand. "I can't. A: Drew hates me, and B: he thinks I'm a beta!"

"You lied to him?" Zachary turned so that he was facing him, and then smacked him over the head. "Stupid! Stupid Kai!"

"Ow, ow! What the heck?"

"Why! Would! You! Lie!" Zachary punctuated each word with a smack on the head.

"Well, he wouldn't talk to me otherwise! He would have just blocked me if he knew I was an alpha."

"Well... actually forget that. How has he not just figured it out yet?"

Kai sighed, "Guess I'm good at lying to my potential love interests. That bodes well for me later in life."

"You sure know how to pick 'em."

Kai's phone buzzed. Zachary pounced, yanking the phone from Kai's grasp. He quickly unlocked the phone and opened the message. He read it quickly, dodging out of the way of Kai, who was trying to steal it back. "Pffft-" he clapped a hand over his mouth.

"What? Give it back!"

"Your boyfriend is summoning you," he sang.

"Huh?" Kai took his phone and glanced down at the text.

From: Deedee

hey can u pick me up, my date stood me up, and I don't have a ride. I'm at the mall

"Date?" He growled. Zachary shifted back as his scent grew more powerful. Anger wafted off him.

"H-hey, calm it down, okay?" he said nervously.

From: Deedee

FUCK THAT WASN'T FOR U IGNORE THAT

Kai stood up, angrily punching in a response

To: Deedee

I'm coming

From: Deedee

what? no it's okay

From: Deedee

don't move, I'll be there in ten minutes

From: Deedee

u realize i'll see who u are?

To: Deedee

Don't care, meet me in the food court.

From: Deedee

...ok

Kai shoved his phone in his pocket and grabbed his keys. "See you Zachary."

"What, what? Bro, you're gonna blow everything! He'll hate you!" Zachary grabbed his sleeve. "Let me go pick him up, he doesn't know me!"

Kai smiled at his friend, "Secrets aren't my thing anyways. In my experience, they tend to blow up in your face."

"Kai!"

"Later, Zachary."  He ruffled his friend's hair and walked out of the cafe, twirling the keys around his finger.

Zachary's mouth hung open. One minute he's sitting with his friend in a cute little cafe having lunch, the next his idiot best friend is off to go get murdered by the guy he's somehow crushing on.

"What the hell?"