t w e n t y s e v e n

When Drew stalked into school on Thursday afternoon, you could have felt the temperature drop, turning the warm, thick air full of the scent of teenagers icy cold. He didn't even have his bag and he looked like he had just rolled out of bed, his shirt crinkled and his hair sticking up in every direction.

Kai was leaning against the wall, engaged in casual conversation with Aaron. A second later his head popped up and he turned, a grin forming. "Drew!" he called, reaching out to hug his little boyfriend. "I missed you."

Drew shoved him to the side and grabbed Aaron by the collar. "You!" he spat. "You wanna explain to me why my best friend is currently in my bed sobbing his precious heart out because he is so fucking lost right now he doesn't even have a fucking clue what just fucking happened? You wanna explain why he hasn't fucking stopped crying? Or shall I just break your fucking nose right now, you absolute bastard? Wanna explain to me why he hasn't said a word, why he can't say a word because he's in so much fucking pain right now? I'm giving you four fucking seconds before I slam your fucking face through this wall. Start. Fucking. Talking."

Kai took several steps backward very quickly as Aaron started shaking, even though Drew was a good four inches shorter than him and far less muscular. "I-I-" Aaron started.

"Three!" Drew growled.

"We broke up!" Aaron spluttered. "We were talking, and he completely flipped out and broke up with me!"

"Bullshit!" Drew snarled, "What did you do? Tell me or, God help me, I will break every bone in your body."

"I don't know! I don't think I did anything! All I said was he didn't really need to go to college because I would take care of him!"

Drew groaned and released him, pushing him back a few steps. "Why the fuck would you do that? Do you not understand how important his education is to him?"

"I-!"

Drew shook his head. "You don't have the right to dictate Blake's life or whether he gets an education or not."

Aaron scrubbed at his face. "Yeah, you're right. I need to get my shit together. Tell Blake I'm sorry?"

Drew tilted his head to the side, gaze scrutinizing. "Yeah. Yeah, I will." He sighed, and for the first time, both Kai and Aaron noticed just how tired he looked. He looked like he hadn't slept in a few days, there was an unhealthy flush on his cheeks, and he was shaky on his feet. He really shouldn't have been out of bed so soon.

"Do you think Blake will forgive me?"

"I don't know. Honestly, it was more than you just telling him he couldn't go to college; you essentially made him feel like he was below you. Like he wasn't your equal."

"I didn't mean it like that, though!" Aaron protested.

Drew held up his hands. "Not my words. Just what I gathered."

He lurched forward suddenly, and that's when Kai stepped in. "I'm going to take him home. He shouldn't be out of bed yet. "

Drew pushed him back. "I'm fine. I got here, didn't I?"

Kai ignored him and swept him up into his arms. "Mhm, sure. Give me your keys. You sure as hell shouldn't be driving."

Drew huffed but shoved the cold keys into his chest. "Do whatever."

Kai nodded to Aaron. "You have a lot to think about. I'm available to talk to whenever. Give me a call sometime."

Aaron just barely moved his head in acknowledgment. 

Kai pulled Drew tighter against himself. "Let's take you home. I'll bet your mom is losing her mind right now."

Drew chuckled darkly. "Probably. I didn't tell her I was leaving."

"You didn't?" Kai asked as they left the building.

"Nope. I'm not exactly clear minded right when I wake up. Kinda got angry, grabbed my keys, and left. Shit, did I even brush my hair?"

Kai let out a peal of laughter. "Nope, but it's cute. Brings back memories." He winked.

Drew turned red. The stupid fucking picture that started all this shit. "Don't mention that, dear lord."

"No way. That's my contact picture for you in my phone!"

Drew groaned. "Jerk."

"You love me."

Drew stuck out his tongue.

Kai had just set him in the passenger seat of his truck when Drew suddenly, for like the third time that day, shoved him out of the way. "Hey-"

Drew scrambled out of the car. Pushing past Kai, he walked over to a tall male leaning against the roof of his car. They exchanged a few heated words, Drew aggressively getting in his face.

Kai could only hear scraps of conversation and mostly from Drew, who was much louder than his... friend?

"-the fuck are you doing here?" Drew, obviously.

"-babe you missed me." That was the "friend."

"Fuck off." Graceful as always, Drew.

"-what the fuck?" Must be Drew's favorite word.

"-I'd rather die!" Drew had spat at the guy who was still relaxed.

"-if you don't-" Kai didn't like the tone of voice the person took with Drew.

Drew then scoffed and flipped the person off before stalking back over to Kai. He grabbed him by the collar and dragged him down for a searing kiss that sent zings of electricity through Kai's lips.

He climbed in the car. "Coming?" He asked. Kai shook his head and ran round the car, getting in the driver's seat and turning the key.

"So who was that?" he finally asked.

"My ex," Drew said disarmingly.

"You don't seem to get along very well..." Kai said cautiously.

"Hardly. That was Jared."

Kai choked on his own tongue. "Eh?"

"Yep. Lord Asshole decided that tormenting me once wasn't enough, apparently. I told him in no uncertain terms that he wasn't to show his face around here, though, so hopefully you won't see him around."

Kai growled under his breath. "If I see him, I'll rip him a new one."

"Sure," Drew said, a fake smile on his face. Kai smiled fondly at him, reaching over and squeezing his hand. Drew squeezed back weakly.