maybe?

(karls pov)

i hear a knock on my door, i'm just playing minecraft. i get up confused on who it could be and it's dream.

"hey dude!" i say opening the door so he can come in. why isn't he over at lacys? it's really late.

"hi karl, i have a question for you." he sits in my gaming chair and turns around towards me.

"uh, yeah shoot."

"do you think lacy still has feelings for you?" this is a shocker, not what i was expecting. i blink blankly and try and think.

"i think she loves you." i say, not generally answering the question. i couldn't tell you if lacy did have feelings for me, it's been a year. there's no way she could.

"i know she loves me, but what about you? how much were you involved? was it a relationship?" he urges to know.

"no. it wasn't a relationship, it was barely anything. there was obvious feelings and tension but we were both confused. i'm kinda uncomfortable right now." i say putting my hand behind my head.

"i think she still likes you. i could see how much she regretted messing things up with you two and i think that if she had the chance to, she would go back to you." dream saying this made me uncomfortable and i didn't really know what to say. he was a good friend.

"do you still like her?" he asked eyes wide.

"i don't know her. dream, i think you're overthinking."

"i'm going to pack up my stuff, i have other things to do at home and i don't want to just fight with her." he gets up.

"dream... you're overreacting. you don't need to leave." i try to beg him to stay, lacy seems so happy with him. he looks back and shrugs. then he leaves. i hear muffled voices in the room next to me and then a yell.

"you're overreacting! there's nothing here! why are you so jealous?!" i don't hear the response and i try and listen a little more but everything seems quiet. after about 15 minutes of silence i decide to check what was going on. lacy's apartment door was wide open and she was sitting with her knees to her chest on the ground beside her bed. i could see her shoulders shaking, indicating that she's crying. i knock on the already open door and her head shoots up. she quickly wipes her face. i can see the anger in her eyes as she steps up to her feet.

"what did you tell him?!! he's going home because he thinks i need to figure out what- or who- i want!!" she screams at me. i blink.

"don't just stand there and look dumb!! you know that you said something about whatever we had! fuck bro... i really loved him." i don't know what to say to her. she's obviously very upset and i seem to be making it worse. what if i'm the reason they break up?? oh no. i could possibly lose dream as a friend as well as any chance i get with lacy to be friends.

"he asked if i thought you were over me or had any feelings for me! i don't know what to say to that!" i say keeping my head down.

"just say what you think!! i'm in love with clay! it's obvious i don't have feelings for you!" she yells at me as she's getting closer. i start to back up.

"well you looked at me like you wanted me earlier! i could see straight through your eyes! look, i came back allowing that you and i could have a second chance. and i was okay with that, i am okay with it. please, no more yelling." as i say this i see the anger in her face turn to sadness. she slides down to her knees and puts her hands on her face. i don't know what i should be doing. i slowly walk over to her and awkwardly put my arms around her. i feel her slightly jump but then melt into them. her sobs get louder. it breaks my heart.

(lacys pov)

his arms are so warm and comfortable. he smells like a perfume i used to own, but slightly different. it smells good. i break out of his touch, remembering how he could've just cost me a relationship. i glare into his eyes. his brown eyes. his beautiful brown eyes. i could get lost in them forever. i bring my eyes down to his lips, they look so soft. i bring my eyes back up and karl seems a bit uncomfortable. his cheeks are red and he looks away from my eyes. i want to kiss him. i start to lean in and he doesn't notice right away. he focuses his eyes back on me and realizes i'm getting closer.

"what are you going to do about dream?" he stutters out. he scoots back a little bit as my cheeks go red. i forgot about clay. he was right, i do still want karl. i put my head down back into my face.

"this is going to sound bad but can you leave?" i mumble through my hands. i hear footsteps leaving and the door shuts. my hands run through my hair and i pick up my phone to call clay. it goes straight to voicemail.

lacy
clay, please. you know how much i love you.
babe it's us against the world remember?
clay
answer
please
i know you're mad
please
i have so many things to talk with you about
i wanted to start streaming
i made a twitter account
it's @lacyiscool
please
clay
dream
i love you
come back

clay❣️
go to bed lacy, it's 4am.

lacy
please come back

clay❣️
we need a break. as of now, we aren't "together"
you can figure out who you want
it's me or karl
and if you choose karl, that's fine

lacy
i love you clay. i choose you and will always choose you
i choose you until the day i die

clay❣️
no. you don't.
you can't make that decision right now

lacy
why??
it's true

clay❣️
i'm blocking you lacy.
figure it out.
i'll text you when i'm ready.

lacy
please don't leave

the message never delivered. he blocked me. he actually did it. i hear a scream and it's heart shattering, soon enough i realize it's mine. i punch everything in sight, although my eyes are extremely blurry due to the tears throughout them.

"clay..." i let out weakly. i hear footsteps again and then they stop. i know it's karl, he heard the scream. i know he's standing outside the door, wondering if he should come inside. the sobs get louder as i realize how much i need clay. he's the one i went to when i was like this, which was rarely ever. he's not here anymore. it hadn't even been one day. not even one full day. i hear a knock on the door.

"i'm outside your door if you need me." i hear karl say.