revenge

"let's get revenge then." ava says. i raise an eyebrow.

"what do you mean?"

"do something that will make him jealous so he comes running back." i can practically hear her smirk. i just know she has so many ideas.

"i don't know about that, we technically aren't broken up, it's just a break. plus what would i even do, i don't want to hurt him."

"when you know karls streaming, just walk into his apartment and just start eating food or doing something that's in the back of the video. then clay will see it and wonder why you're in his apartment and text you. then you can explain yourself. boom." she suggests.

"no that's stupid because the whole point is that he thinks i still like karl and he'll just leave me alone if i do that. he'll do whatever he can to keep me happy."

"obviously not boo, he stormed out of your apartment and left you crying on the floor for hours. that doesn't seem like he was trying to make you happy. i know he's not a toxic manipulative bitch but c'mon girl. you can't blame this on yourself. you didn't do anything to provoke this, he's just insecure."

"what do you mean?" i ask.

"well he is scared karl is going to steal you because he thinks karl is better than him. he didn't let you explain that he had nothing to worry about and he is better than karl." she lectures. i stay silent on the other end, thinking about clay being jealous of karl. i start to hear murmurs from karls room indicating he's with a friend or streaming. i wish i was that friend, i wish i was with him.

"lacy... i know what you're thinking. you're confused about your feelings right?" ava says.

"can you book a flight? please?"

"what? i- lacy, i can't just- yes, okay fine! i'll be there late tomorrow night okay?" she exclaims.

we stay on call for a little bit after planning some things and i tried to avoid the deeper questions. i was done with that for the night. i lay on my back, facing the ceiling, listening to the laughter and giggles of the room next to mine. they start to pipe down about an hour or so later and i finally start to fall asleep, imagining ava and i gossiping about her life back at home. no more of this boy bullshit.

i wake up the next morning to knocking at my door. immediately i think that i slept super late and it's ava coming to see me already. as i frantically get up i realize it's only 10am and ava probably hasn't even left her house yet. i open the door and karl is standing there with some donuts and a coffee. he has a smile on his face that i see is obviously fake. i open the door wider and make a gesture that allows him inside.

"i see you haven't really cleaned up much..." he slides a shirt to the side with his foot. "how have you been doing?" i look into his brown eyes and see genuine concern. i also see want. he wants me to be okay. i see care.

"i'm alright. it's not amazing but my bestfriend is coming to see me tonight and i think that'll cheer me up a ton." i take a donut and bite into it. he just blankly stares at me.

"i'm sorry that i ruined things between you and dream. i didn't think it'd be that big of a deal that i moved back but i guess it was. i don't want to be a problem or get in the way of your relationships by expressing my feelings. i know how you and dream feel about eachother and i don't want to be the reason that you don't work out in the future. i'm also sorry that i make everything about feelings. i just want to be open." he says.

"you don't have to be sorry for showing you're human. i'm fine with being friends but right now i just cannot do anything more than that. and in the future, i don't know if clay and i would work out. how's he doing by the way?"

"i don't know if i'm allowed to say this but i think he's actually doing okay. it's only been a day or two but he seems like he's happy. i don't know him on that level though so he could definitely be struggling and hiding it." he tries to cover up clays happiness as soon as he sees my face drop.

"oh. i guess that's good for him." i look up from the table to see him staring at me. he's trying to analyze my next move. i get up and start to walk over to his side of the table. his face goes from shock to confusion. i look into his eyes and realize he's hurting too. i open my arms and pull my head against his chest. i can feel his heartbeat. it's a nice sound.

authors note:

hi i'm alive lol. (kinda wish i wasnt haha) but i took a long break and i hope that i'm back. also 21k reads wtf i appreciate you all so much. <3 i'm gonna talk about what's been going on for a little bit. here's a reminder that
-i cannot reply to messages
-everybody in my story does not portray their true life self.
-you all are loved.

if i don't update it's probably cause my mental health is fucked (when is it not) but i'll try my hardest to keep updating regularly! maybe once a week? idk please don't be mad. k bye love y'all