14. Home

"Here we are," Meghan rolled her eyes, sighting deeply, as she gave a side look to her husband. "Back home within a week since we left,"

"Meghan, that's unnecessary" Harry sighed as well, staring out of the window as the plane touched down in a foggy morning.

"Is it, really?" The woman frowned. "Was it necessary to come back, then?"

"My niece and granddaughter was almost killed four days ago, Meghan. It very much was." He replied firmly.

"Are we going to come back every time something happens with your family, when will be living in the USA? I don't think I'll be able to deal with it, if it's so." She scoffed.

"We won't be living in the USA anytime soon," was Harry's reply. "Not until the baby's born, at least."

"Why not?"

Harry had to give a double glance at his wife, making sure she was really asking that. By her look, it was immediately clear. "First of all, Mary lives here and we can't just take her with us to the other side of the ocean, and certainly not while she's pregnant-" he explained, but he was immediately interrupted.

"We could just go there and someone will bring us the baby as soon as it is born," Meghan crossed his arms. "Plus, if we do I won't need to go to engagements anymore, and especially not wearing that uncomfortable, weird-looking jelly bump..."

"Someone will bring us the baby?" Harry replied his wife's words in disbelief, "It's our child Meg, not a package from Amazon that you can... Deliver when you need it."

With another sight, Meghan turned to the side and tried to make up her mind about her next moves. She had to be very careful about touching the right points to keep Harry always and anyhow on her side. She turned back smiling.

"You're right, you're right. I'm sorry Haz- It's been kinda an hard few days you know..." she nodded, a little smile on her face.

"Oh Meg," immediately the prince nodded, reaching out for her hands. "Of course. I'm so, so sorry. Don't worry, we'll have time to talk about it, I promise."

Meghan smiled and kisses Harry's hands. "Yes, we will. We have plenty of time."

One of their officers walked in, calling their names. "Your Royal Highnesses, we're about to land, you need to go back to your seats, please."

Like the man asked, Harry sat next to Meghan, holding her hand and, shortly after, the plane landed.

***

"Thank you," Victoria smiled, shaking once again hands with one of the doctors of King Edward's hospital, as the cameras flashed from behind her.

"Just our duty, Your Royal Highness." The man replied bowing his head. "I'd wish us to meet again soon but maybe that's not the best for you." He joked, causing Victoria to giggle.

"Yeah, maybe not the best." William agreed turning to his side, towards his daughter, just before he shook hands with the doctor. "But thank you so much."

After Catherine had greeted the doctor as well, William gently grabbed his daughter's arms, letting her walking ahead of him. "This way love," he said, as the trio walked through the corridor towards the exit door, the familiar sound of camera flashing always around.

Victoria sighed quietly, forcing herself to smile, holding closer the bunch of flowers she had been gifted. She didn't want to step out. She didn't want to have pictures taken right after she was discharged, she didn't want to pretend everything was fine when it wasn't. She felt sick at the thought that her discharge from the hospital had been turned into a family engagement, but deep down she knew that was her duty. She knew that whoever had taken that decision only wanted everything to go back to normal after the three weeks break her parents had had after her attack, and that her family very much needed to go back to its work. And the last thing she wanted, was being the reason why everything had stopped. But her mind could barely focus on what surrounded her, as she prayed as hard as she could that James wasn't out there, that he wasn't waiting for her. She wasn't ready to face him, nor to see him. She knew she would have needed to, sooner or later, she only didn't want it to happen that day, and certainly to spot him in the crowd while she was in public wasn't the best occasion. Especially not after he had basically ghosted her for two weeks, avoiding any interaction.