24. Fear

March 15th, 2020

"Your Royal Highnesses?" James Moore knocked three times on the front door of Frogmore Cottage, on the cloudy afternoon of March 15, 2020.

Normally, he wouldn't have been there, but with the Sussexes about to leave the UK there were some big changes being done, and he had been called to help. He just needed to be handed some papers and official documents, and bring them back to the office in Kensington Palace, a very easy job even for a twenty years old and almost already failed body guard.

When nobody replied, he knocked again. "Sir? Ma'am? It's James Moore, I just need a couple documents, I believe you already know what-"

"Come in, it's open" A voice came from the inside. The boy did as he was told and walked inside the house just to find it empty.

"Is there anyone?" He asked once again. Being there alone make him feel like he was in the wrong place.

"I'm upstairs," the very same voice said. James could only hypothesize it was Prince Harry's.

He began climbing the stairs following the voice, and as he reached the top he could hear some mumbling coming from a room right by the stairs. He got closer, trying to understand if it was there where he needed to be. The door had been left ajar, so if wasn't too difficult to hear what was being said inside. It was the Duchess of Sussex speaking.

"No, he didn't. You should know," Meghan was saying. "But we have another idea..." She was clearly talking to the phone with someone James had no idea who they could be. "If they do, then it would be us, after Charles and his mistress." She added, in a rather disgusted voice. "I'd be Queen."

James' heart skipped a beat. He wasn't sure about was he was hearing, but it sounded terrible. He knew for sure he wasn't supposed to be there. All his body was alert to keep the tiniest sign of someone coming, but he just couldn't stop listening.

"Of course I tried with that stupid bitch," the Duchess went on. "But not only she survived, she gained more approval from the people. And after her, she has siblings. It can't be done one by one," silence followed. "No I don't want to kill them you stupid... But we're one plane crash away from the throne, you know, and stories might come about... As we planned."

James heard a door slamming. He froze, holding his breath. Shortly after, he heard steps he couldn't figure where they were coming from, but he could tell they were going to the opposite direction from where he was, so he calmed down a bit, just enough to listen to the rest of the conversation.

As careful as he could be, he slowly pulled his phone out his pocket, unlocked it and opened the camera. He then pressed the red button, beginning to record.

"Of course we're doing the interview," Meghan went on. "They're gonna fall like an house of cards, I swear. Victoria will wish she'd never been born, and I'll make sure I'll drag her parents into this as well... But I have a couple more ideas before that, I just can't tell you right now."

James' heart was beating out of his chest. His breath heavy, he could feel his hands sweating. He was terrified at the thought of being found.

"Gah-ah!"

Caught by surprise, the young man almost jumped hearing a sound coming from behind. He immediately turned to find Archie, crawling on the floor just a few centimetres away from him.

He began panicking, hurrying towards the kid. "Shush, I shouldn't be here" he whispered, and scooped him up. "You shouldn't either, probably..." He added, almost just to himself. "Let's go find your dada".

He looked around and tried to knock on a couple doors, but without any success. As he was about to head downstairs, he heard steps from behind him, followed by a voice. Angry, unpleasant voice.