23. Commonwealth Day

February 4th, 2020 - Buckingham Palace, London

Victoria poured a teaspoon of sugar in her cup, proceeding to gently stir it. She placed the teaspoon back on the plate, causing it to tinkle. Next to her, the Queen was smiling warmly, waiting for her own tea to cool down a bit. It was a cold Tuesday. Her Majesty had asked her great-granddaughter to join her for an afternoon tea, because she had a very important thing to ask her.

The news of Harry and Meghan leaving the UK had left a general feeling of unhappiness and discomfort from the people towards the Crown, and the Queen knew it. It wasn't the first time it happened something similar during her reign, and she knew she needed to give a strong message to the people, so they wouldn't lose trust in the institution. She owned it to her father, first, but also to those who will come after her - her son Charles, her grandson William, and her great-granddaugther, Victoria.

"Victoria." The Queen called, immediately grabbing her attention.

"Yes, Gan-Gan?"

"My dear. Do you know what day we celebrate in March, right? An important day for our family."

"Commonwealth Day," Victoria replied. "Isn't it?"

"It is, indeed. And as you know, this year it will also mark your uncle and aunt's last official engagement before they leave for the United States."

Victoria cleared her voice before giving a nod. "Yes, Gan-Gan." She had been trying to avoid the topic ever since that day in Sandringham, one month earlier, and she certainly wasn't eagerly waiting for March. She was angry, and disappointed by her uncle. She felt as if he had betrayed her.

"The Commonwealth is vital to us all, Victoria, and the Commonwealth Service gives a very strong message each year, about the close bond between the countries part of it, its people. For this reason, I would like you to join your parents and me, and the rest of our family, at celebrating it this year."

The Princess was sort of taken aback by Her Majesty's request: she wasn't expecting it at all, and she thought she wouldn't have started attention that sort of ceremonies until her 18th birthday. But after just a few seconds, she smiled and nodded. "That would be such an honour for me, Your Majesty. Thank you."

"No, thank you, Victoria. But there's just one more thing. I'd like you to deliver a speech during the Service."

***

Cheers could be heard from any direction when Princess Victoria stepped out of the car in front of Westminster Abbey. With the help of her father, she made her way down on the sidewalk and waved politely to the crowd waiting on the sides of the street.

She took a deep breath as she turned around to face the Abbey. She was incredibly nervous. Words and quotes from her speech kept resurfacing from her memory, mixing together, making her feel confused. She could feel all the hopes and trust her great-grandmother had place in her, and she was terrified at the thought of disappointing her. She knew how important that day was for everyone involved, and how much the people were waiting to hear her first public speech. She knew how important that day would turn out to be for her whole life. From now on, there would be a before and after, and she was determined in making the turn out to be both perfect.

It was the first of all firsts that would eventually lead her to become a Queen. And it was nerve-racking.

"Vic, come," Catherine smiled to her, grabbing her attention. She had sort of zoomed out for a second, staring at the entrance of the Abbey. "Are you okay?"