11 - on the run

y/n's pov

i got far enough to desert the others that the only audible thing was the tranquil chirping of birds.

i analyzed my surroundings. there wasn't anything or anyone in sight. i felt relieved, but i kept walking stealthily, keeping my vision open to everything around me.

i finally addressed the tingling sensation on my fingers again. then, my mind drifted to what i had just done with kai, the urge to play with my elemental power possessing me.

if i had somehow been capable of blanking with someone else, then there was a bunch of other things i had yet to discover. i grinned at myself; for one, i thought i had exceeded my skill, and two, it gave me a rush of determination to figure out what else i could do.

ramped up with the elements around me, i attempted to open a void portal, like i had done when i fought lloyd on my tryout. the wind became  slave to my order; the whistling became a shrill of cries that could only be described as unearthly. rotating my fingers and extending my other hand out in front of me, the black hole was slowly forming. some of the leaves from the trees that hovered above me thrusted violently in my direction and circled the portal. the ground trembled in certain instants and paused, then continuing all over again.

the portal of void in front of me was about the size of four-passenger-seat automobile, which was definitely bigger than the one i made for lloyd. satisfied with my work, i rotated my fingers in the opposite direction to unwind my beloved creation. the howls and movement slowly died down, until there was nothing left.

i sighed with contentment.

as much as i wanted to hang around and explore the full capacity of my elemental power, i knew i had to keep moving. i didn't need to have the possibility of being found. or let kai down.

before i could continue, the cracking of bones from dead leaves on the ground filled the air behind me. spinning on my heel at once, i came face-to-face with the blue ninja. we both gulped, our proximity being a little much for us to process. we retracted simultaneously, before he knitted his eyebrows in an angry appearance.

"oh, it's you," he spat in an aggressive tone. "great."

"no one's forcing you to stick around," i replied nonchalantly as possible. in reality, i was stung with little bits of sorrow that he had reacted the way he did. jay was never one to be unfriendly or make spiteful comments. so, i knew this had to be my own doing.

i sighed in defeat. "look, i'm sorry about that other night."

jay glanced around before his eyes darted back into my own. the slight fury that conquered his pure face dissolved into a painting of despair. his eyes fell to the ground again, his lips drooping in a frown. for a second, he didn't say anything.

"it's fine," he finally croaked. he peered back up into my e/c eyes. "i'm sorry too, y/n. i shouldn't have said what i said. i mean, i love nya. i-i honestly don't know what came over me."

i stared at him with a sincere gleam in my eyes. i smiled timidly, despite him professing the opposite of what he had said.

"hey, it's okay. i get it. it's because of our history, right?"

jay nodded shamefully, averting his gaze. "i-i'm sorry."

his look of trouble and gloom earned me another warm, glowing feeling in my heart. i didn't try to shove it down into the most profound corridors of me; i simply let it linger. i couldn't stand seeing him so upset, and especially being that i was at fault here made it worse on my conscious.