17 - sword fight

*spoicyyy,,, fyi ;-)
**another songs his chapter !! i'll let you know when to play it !! :D

y/n's pov

"princess, we've been at this all day, can we catch a break?"

it was the night before the tournament. kai and i were once again practicing, at the pond. we'be been here—well—pretty much all day, returning to the bounty for food and bathroom breaks only.

i dropped my sais, feeling my arms wobble as i brought them to my sides. under the moonlight, i could observe the streaks of sweat trickle down kai's forehead. his muscular arms were also glistening quite brightly too, indicating that they were sweaty. he did seem a little tired, because truth be told, i'd been pushing the both of us past our limits.

"fine," i puffed, i too feeling the tiredness wash over me. "only for five minutes."

we sat down just below the brow of the hill that led to the pond. crickets fluttered their tunes away, as the trees that surrounded the area waved slightly under the breeze. a couple of frogs leaped nearby, croaking every now and then. it was calming—refreshing—to take in the night.

"hey, sunshine?" kai asked softly.

"yeah?" i replied, turning to look at him.

"thank you."

"for what?"

"for working my ass off."

i chuckled. "well, that's what a good partner does."

kai smirked at this comment. "is that all it is, or does the princess actually care about me?"

i stayed silent for a moment. peeling my eyes away from his, i concentrated on the sounds of crickets and frogs. i shrugged before returning my gaze.

"maybe i do."

"maybe, huh?"

"yup."

kai scooted closer to me, leaning his face towards mine. my heartbeat began to escalate, and for some reason, the pond life noise increased too. our faces were a mere set of inches away now. his warm breath hit my cheeks, sending shivers down my entire body.

"what do i have to do to get it out of you?" kai whispered, his gaze trading between my eyes and lips.

"get what out of me?" i asked, feeling my heart pound against my chest. 

"get you to say that you care about me."

my chest was heaving a little, all caused by the heat of his words. ideally, i would've been daring and tell him exactly what i wanted right now: a kiss. because it was true. as much as i desperately tried to conceal it, kai was growing on me. spending all of this time with him was bringing me back to that night, where i had all those thoughts and feelings. but i needed to keep my head in the game for tomorrow. kai was all types of hot, but there was nothing better than sweet, sweet victory.

and i'd never admit to my—faint—feelings, because that would only feed his enormous ego.

"if we win tomorrow, i just might say it," i answered after a small pause. at this point, i was looking at both his eyes and his lips.

"oh yeah?"

"i said i just might."

"and what if i kissed you right now? would you say it then?"

i didn't say anything. he knew what i was thinking. i mean, i already kissed him once. a second one wouldn't hurt...right?

so if i wanted to be bold, here was my chance.