23 - breakthrough

*besitoooooo!!
**you guys already know whts up,, i'll let you know:)

y/n's pov

it probably took jay and i a good minute before we composed ourselves and snapped into action.

jay asked if we could enter the infirmary to see eli, but were unfortunately denied access. it wasn't until calvin waltzed in, grunted to the security guard, and pushed the door open to allow us in that saved us the trouble.

we followed after the rattling of the gurney, and whirlwind of voices belonging to the medics. i thought i heard the commotion further down the hall, but jay grabbed me by the sleeve and pulled me back.

surely, we were peering into the infirmary. loads of medics and nurses were on standby for at least a dozen of injured inmates. but with eli, there must have been like five of them hovering around.

they started whispering to each other when one of them noticed us standing there. a young woman—who was a nurse—finally approached us, with a glum facial expression.

"i'm sorry ninja, but by the looks of it, tusk was poisoned."

"what?!" jay and i shouted at the same time, in disbelief.

"i'm afraid so. we believe an inmate must have slipped something into tusk's water. we will do everything we can to investigate the matter of his death."

"but that wasn't tusk!" jay whined, his eyebrows furrowing together as he traded gazes between the nurse and eli's lifeless body on the gurney. "he was an innocent man!"

"his name was elijah gander!" i added with an equal amount of urgency. "he was trapped in here!"

the nurse turned back to glance at the quartet of medics and nurses, who were watching jay and i shout like madmen. they all gave each other confused looks before she faced us again.

"ninja, we have read his file. he had some serious charges against him for that stunt he pulled at the tech center. he is not at all innocent. you should know, you two were there."

jay's throat produced weird croaking noises while i crossed my arms, trying to think. there was ultimately no way we could prove that the man who was killed in front of us was elijah gander. there was no evidence to demonstrate that he was a victim to whoever was out there to get us.

"that wasn't him..." i muttered once last time, in hopes to get to the nurse's senses.

alas, it didn't work. "i'm sorry," was all she said before she spun back around to the room.

i turned to jay, who was just staring at the group of medical professionals around eli. then, i observed how his entire face lit up like a firecracker, just within seconds.

"y/n!" he exclaimed, facing me with his usual crooked smile. "the block!"

a grin of my own appeared on my lips at the reminder. "right! we can go scout the area for any clues!"

and just like that, jay and i darted away, to block one eighty-three.

***

"he's gonna be furious, when he finds out, wadley."

"shut your mouth, alastair! he'll only find out if he hears you!"

"hear what, pipsqueak?"

tusk walked into the room, his head held high with pride. he looked down at wadley and alastair—being that he was a tower compared to them—grinning arrogantly that he had to do so.