03 - elemental powers at battle

y/n's pov (this should be better for us)

i observed all three of the summoned ninja as they took their places around me in defensive positions.

jay, kai, and lloyd.

my eyes first landed on the the red ninja. he displayed a smirk of sorts, appearing to be excited, but not too enthusiastic to fight me. his hands were enveloped with a bright orange flame, looking almost threatening. it was only then that something inside me told me that he was kai, the name that belonged to this fierce boy.

i moved my gaze elsewhere. the green ninja concealed his emotions well, for he still had the stern facial expression as his own pair of hands glowed with green energy. i decided to glance quickly into his eyes, and surely, his sight was already fixated on me. our eyes met once more, and it was in that moment where i noticed his glistening green irises soften with interest.

so this was lloyd, ninjago's very own green ninja.

after putting the pieces together, i finally turned to face jay. unlike the kai and lloyd, jay appeared to be troubled, fearful even, judging by his arched eyebrows and super widened electric eyes.

he was definitely afraid to fight against me.

not that he wouldn't; i very much knew he was capable of doing so. but the problem was, he was scared he would hurt me, and i knew how protective he was of me. well, use to be. the issue seemed to be evident here though, because our own elemental powers were going to be in use. i was sure jay thought that his lightning would be overpowering and cause potential harm.

but i wasn't sweating it. i was...chillin' as most would say. i was more confident than ever. three male ninja weren't going to get the best of me, not after everything i endured to arrive here, now.

so with that mindset fresh in my brain, i flashed jay a reassuring smile. his worried look melted slowly, until he returned the gesture.

"jay, kai, and lloyd," sensei wu finally announced after a while, "i will put you in one by one once i see that the other ninja before you needs the assistance. as i do not expect for the three of you to use your full power now, i still will be expecting a stellar performance. and as for you, miss l/n, i can say nothing but the same."

the four of us nodded understandingly, as i felt the deck of the ship creak a little.

"very well then. the first to start will be jay versus y/n. jay, prepare yourself. kai and lloyd, step this way please to give them enough room to battle."

jay groaned very loudly at the call of his name, causing cole, the black ninja, to giggle loudly. kai and lloyd only smirked at one another in amusement, while zane and nya had confused looks plastered on their faces. i made sure to chuckle internally.

after getting his act together, jay resumed to the seriousness of the task laid in front of him. with the electricity coursing through his arms, jay's own eyes seemed to be glowing with power. i honestly felt myself getting sidetracked, studying his eyes more in depth as we stood staring at each other with curiosity, wondering what the other was capable of.

suddenly, everything around me was remarkably numb. i was stuck in place, unable to move completely because the muscles and nerves in my body froze. it took me a little too long to realize that jay had shot a wave of electricity at me, right when i was too concentrated on him. i cursed in my mind, feeling pangs of anger and regret at the silly little act.

i had to get back into the game.

i allowed myself to experience the electric current throughout my body for a couple seconds longer. then, with the blink of an eye, i blanked out of the formulating battle into the second layer of void--the one where i was practically invisible to the naked eye. i could see all of the ninja react with astonishment and wonder as i disappeared from clear sight; jay seemed to have a combination of marvel and worry as he peered around in a skittish manner.