Chapter 13 : Danny Skeller

*Tom's P.O.V*

"Hey yo Hanson!" said Penhall happily coming to me as we made a hand five. "Hey Doug" I said with a smile. I passed by Ioki's desk and patted his shoulder, Judy wasn't here, she was gone before I arrive, I guess. I sat by my desk and looked at the files sitting on my desk, it was pretty quick since it was just reports from rookies to read and requested my signature.

"Hanson!" called Fuller from his office. I got up and walked to his office, sat on a chair in front of his desk. "Yes captain?" I asked looking up to him. "the kid, Danny Skeller on the case you worked on, asked to see you today, go whenever you want in the afternoon, his trial is this morning, he's in serious trouble" he said, sitting on his desk, looking down at me. I sighed in frustration. "But he's innocent captain, his other dealer friend confessed to Penhall and I" I said crossing my foot on my other knee and joining my hands together. "I know Hanson, I've read your report and I trust you, but it's up to the court we can't do nothing about it, I guess he will tell you about his sentence, you're the only one he trusts in here" He said looking at me with sympathy. I got up with a sigh as I left his office, I sat on my desk and couldn't stop thinking about what the court's decision would be, there are only two ways. I stared at the floor, blankly, my fingers crossed. Seconds after I regained my composure and finished working on the files, I gave them to the captain Fuller.

"Hey Hanson it's 2 pm, wanna grab lunch?" asked Blowfish, holding a broom in his hands. I looked up from what I was doing, "No thanks, I have to go" I said with a small smile putting my jacket on, grabbed my car keys and drove off to the penitentiary. "Good afternoon, Officer Hanson" said Harvey the guardian with a smile, giving me a visitor's badge. "Good afternoon Harvey" I said, hanging the badge on my shirt. He handed me a tamper sheet where I wrote my name, the prisoner I came to see and the time. I gave him back and went to Danny's cell, where an officer opened it for me. 

"Hey Danny" I said, taking a seat next to the boy with dark long hair, I busted two years ago. He lifted his head up and had a sad expression on, which wasn't controled. "Officer Tommy!" He said with small enthusiasm. "How did it go this morning ?" I asked with concern, looking in his deep blue eyes. "It could have been better but uh... they decided to make me carry my friend's sin so I got the worse" He said with a pained smile. "I'm sorry man" I said, patting his shoulder, this was what I thought. "Would you be there tonight?" he asked with a pained expression. "Sure" I said with a nod. "Thank you" he said in a soft tone. "I have to go" I said looking at the time. "Okay, see you tonight" he said with a shrug. "See you Danny" I said with a faint smile, I didn't stay long, I know, but I couldn't help but to feel guilty for what was happening to him.

I sat back on my desk, pissed off, I was wondering why this strong sentence for something he had to carry, that wasn't even his fault. I wrote down on the report what happened and handed it to Fuller. I had time to kill before it, but I didn't want to bring my bad mood back home, so I went in front of the penitentiary. It was 7 pm and it started at 11 pm. I had four hours to wait. Thinking about it, Danny wasn't a bad kid besides all the drug dealing, in fact he was extremely intelligent and good at selling stuff, he could've had a bright future. It was so frustrating that it made me sigh. More the time went by, the more I became nervous. I looked at my watch and it was 10.50 pm. I got up and went to the gates, making my way inside.

My expression grew more serious and closed as I saw the hearse car pulling in the parking, close to the door of the execution room. I opened the door and seven people were in here already, I took place by the barrier and rested my hands on it. We were standing in front of a large window, with a hospital bed where two wooden planks were on the sides of it, for the arms. A minute after two officers came on the other side of the window with Danny wearing handcuffs on his wrists. They took it off and let him lay down. Tied him on the wrists and ankles in case he would run away. "Any last words?" asked one the officer looking at him. "No" Danny answered with no emotions, hewas scared. 

The officer made a sign through a darker window that we couldn't see through, next to Danny and both of the officers left. A doctor then came in and inserted two needles in each of his arms, then nodded in the direction of the other window. Danny turned his head and looked at me, I looked at him with a concern expression, he turned his head facing the ceiling. Through the tubes connected to the needles, we could see some transparent liquid going all the way through his arm. Danny played with his fingers, waiting for the liquids to come in and do their jobs. As more liquid came through, his fingers slowed the pace. I stood there, I was shocked, actually my emotions were mixed up. His fingers went slower again and he coughed a little. I ran my hands through my hair knowing it was coming. If only I could break the window and take him out... 

His eyes closed as his fingers slowed the pace, even more. He coughed several times, his fingers stopped, lifelessly resting on the table. The doctor came in with an officer, he checked his eyes. That was it, his soul was no longer in his body. The officer looked at the clock and wrote down a note, before closing the curtain of the large window. I sighed, lowering my head, it was the second time I witnessed someone losing their life in bare eyes. I looked around and everyone was gone already. I quietly left the room and went to the parking lot and climbed into my mustang.