Chapter 23 : Double situation

"So Kris this case is little bit special, it's your own case but Tom will be here for back up, because as a consultant you cannot be on your own on a case. You'll be assigned at Tensler high, there are a lot of harassment there, it's a short case" said Captain Fuller with a smile. "It's fine by me" I said satisfied, looking over to Tom who nodded.

We didn't have any special 'roles' to play, just new transfered students, a brother and a sister. Tom drove directly to school. We went to the secretary's office to register and walked to our first period, sciences. "Now I remember why I hated school" I muttered under my breath. "Yeah but you're paid for it baby" said Tom mocking me, getting me to make a 'that's right' expression. He softly knocked at the door and a beautiful female dressed with a black taylor and bright purple glasses opened the door with a soft expression. Her blond hair highlighted  deep blue eyes.

"Hello, I'm Miss Karlin, please come in" she said kindly. With a small smile we went to sit down, where there was empty spots. Apparently the class we're in is the worst one, but at first glance it doesn't seem to be. we'll see. After an hour lunch time came. It was honestly, a disaster.

"May we sit here ?" I politely asked to a girl named Sally, that was in our class. "Uh sure" she answered cutely. "What's the deal here, at lunch?" I asked, looking around. "Oh that" she sighed. "Bullying time" she shrugged, used to it. "It's always like that?" I asked again. "Yeah and you haven't seen the break" she said then took a fork full of mashed potatoes. Tom and I exchanged a confidant look, knowing that the case will be over quickly. And we know exactly who to arrest, he or most likely they. Three guys from Tom and I's class.

"Are you really related ?" asked Sally suspiciously. "Uh yeah why ?" Asked Tom, looking at me, then back at her. "You don't look like it, I mean you look older than Kris and physically you don't have any resemblance, but don't mind what I'm saying, I'm always examining people, I don't know why" she said with an embarrassed laugh. Tom raised an eyebrow, looking at me. "Oh uhm maybe because we don't have the same dad" I covered up. "Ah yes that should be it" she said with a smile and took a sip of her chocolate milk.

After eating we went back to class, I was still keeping an eye on the three suspects. Robert was the first one, read hair with blue eyes he was english I suppose, due to his accent.  He was tall and extremely thin. The second one, was Guilbert, he had long black hair, pale skin, black eyes also thin. And the last one Arthur had a black mullet with dark green eyes. Finally the break came. Tom and I discreetly entered the secretary's office to know a little bit more on the three boys.

"Anything interesting ?" asked Tom, since it was my case he let me check the file while he kept an eye on the door. "Yeah, they all got reports for bullying, Robert got suspended three weeks for harassing a girl physically, Arthur got suspended for a month for punching a teacher and Guilbert nothing, just insolence reports" I explained. "Oh cute kids" Tom said sarcastically. "Well let's see what they're doing now" I said , as we stepped out of the room.

My heart broke when I saw the scene, Robert and Arthur were holding a boy that seemed younger, while Guilbert was beating the life out of the poor kid. "You get Guilbert I got the rest, be careful" he said, I simply nodded and went behind Guilbert.

"You're under arrest" I said sturnly, pushing him aside, quickly taking his hands before he could react, and handcuffed him. I was about to go and help Tom, but Doug was already here. When and How did he come that quickly? Anyway it wasn't time to think about that. "We'll take the three boys with us, take the kid" Said Tom, taking Guilbert out of my grip and gave me his car keys. "Okay" I said, grabbing his keys. I got closer to the young boy, helping him up, back on his feet. "Are you okay ?" I asked with concern. "Better now, thank you" said the boy, forcing a smile. You could still read the fear in his green eyes, lightly covered by strands of brown hairs. 

During the ride I talked with him, to inform him of what I knew, that were going to happen once at the chapel. His name was Carter. He was in freshman year, he was bullied since he entered in September and told me how the three of them were horrible with him. "Ah Kris! Nice to see you back" Greeted Booker with a wide smile. "Hey Dennis" I said kindly. "Hi" said Dennis to Cater. "Hello" Carter answered, shyly. "Stevenson, In my office with the kid" ordered Fuller.

I walked in his office, that he let me borrow the time to write down the complaint and call Carter's parents. Once the kid was gone, Fuller sat back to his place after he closed the door and I sat in the chair, in front of him. "Kris, is it okay if I ask you a few questions ?" he asked with a poker face on. "Sure go ahead Captain" I said with a smile. "How do you feel with the cases and all ?" he asked, crossing his fingers and laying on his chair. "Good, I mean it was interesting, I learned a lot" I said with ease. "Great ! I want to tell you that I'm thankful for the help you gave us, it was good work for someone that isn't from the police, and I'd even add that I am impressed" he said, nodding his head in approval of his own statement.

"Thank you, It's always a pleasure to help you and the team" I said kindly, making him smile. "I was wondering, since the discussion we had last time..." he said then paused. He referenced when we talked about my job at the ranch. "Yes, what is it ?" I asked calmly. "Are you still suspended? I mean Is he still on tour?" He asked, rubbing his chin. "He still is and I'm still suspended" I sighed. In a way the situation got me dumbfounded and upset, on the other hand, I enjoyed it since I discovered something else.

"Okay" he said, then cleared his throat. "You don't have to give me an answer right now, think of it, I certainly don't want to rush in anything. I got a call from the academy while you were taking Carter's complaint and they studied your work here in jumpstreet and if you want they can offer you a special formation, to become an officer in a year, working here at the same time in jumpstreet" he announced with a smile. Blankly, I stared at his desk, feeling like the chair became deeper. "I will think about it" I said, getting up slowly. "Sure take your time, anyway the door is always open" he smiled. "Thank you" I said, nodding my head as a goodbye and so did he.

Arriving in the appartement's parking lot, I was still overthinking about the offer. I climbed up the stairs and walked to the door. I inserted the key, but the door opened easily since it was unlocked already. I sighed in relief seeing Tom sitting on the sofa. I walked in and closed the door behind me. "Hey" I said, hanging my coat and sat beside him. "Hey" he said with a small smile, something seemed to be on his mind. "What's wrong ?" I asked with concern. "I have to tell you something" he said, looking straight in my eyes. Judging his expression, it was serious. He was wserious, like he never were before. My heartbeat got faster and my palms started sweating.