CHAPTER 01

She was the curious conundrum that rattled the thoughts of his brain.

. . .

[Yin's POV]

It was a dull winter morning in Ncisnorth.

When Yin stepped outside of her house wrapped up in numerous layers of clothes, she saw all the half-timbered houses, snow-kissed. The tall chimneys had become a convenient lookout post as they stood in the serene atmosphere. The cold wind blew torpidly, making a low howling sound.

She sighed. It was her first day in Rise Academy yet she did not feel a single spark of excitement thrilling throughout her body instead like the drabby sun rays that diffused through the sky, a dull hollow feeling remained in her heart, perhaps the longing to go back and lock herself up in the darkness of her room gurgled inside her.

Giving out a puff of foggy breath, she sauntered off on the slippery snowy street. Pristine and white snow under her feet felt slushy nonetheless she tottered away with her backpack heaving on her shoulders.

After a walk of at least ten minutes, she found herself at the entrance of the building which appeared strikingly picturesque. Outstretched in front of her eyes was the huge quietly busy campus of the Rise Academy.

Upon approaching the corridor, hundreds of teenagers squeezed to arrive at classes. She navigated her way through the crowded hallway, moving to the right of some people, to the left of others, desperately trying to spot a relatively shorter height guy amidst the bustling horde.

She thanked God when in the sea of myriads of folk she spotted a yellow coloured bag with a very peculiar yellow and white coloured puppy key chain dangling about which she was certain that it belonged to none other than her brother Jimin.

Making her way towards the boy, it was then she discovered that he was surrounded by six other unknown guys.

Noticing that she stood just a feet apart, she cleared her throat, deliberately. "Um...Jimin."

The addressed boy swivelled around. There was a broad grin on his face but the moment his eyes laid on Yin, his smile transformed into an indignant grimace as though he was not the least pleased about her presence.

Yin saw him uttering something to the boys and then he strode up to her.

"What are you doing here?" He hissed. "Didn't I tell you to stay away from me? You're making it obvious!"

She ignored Jimin and instead lingered her gaze on the boys strutting behind him. "We just moved to Ncisnorth and you already have friends? Impressive." As much as she sounded to be impressed, her expression stated otherwise.

Jimin scoffed, shifting his weight on his other foot, "Of course, I made friends, after all, I'm not like you."

Her countenance did not change, she was staring at him blankly.

"Anyways, what brought you here?"

Without uttering a word, she swung off the backpack from her shoulders and began fumbling with the side chain.

"Hurry up." She heard him say, impatiently annoyed.

"Here." She took out a lunch bag, hanging it in front of his line of sight. "Sera told me to give this to you."

"Mum!? No!" Jimin said disbelievingly. "I told her to not give me a tiffin box! I'm not a five-year-old kid. I can eat something from the canteen."

"Apparently -" Yin started, shoving the bag in his hands. " - this has nothing to do with me. All I was told was to drop this to you."

"Alright. Alright. Get going." Jimin dismissed, glancing around instead of meeting her cold and inscrutable gaze - as always.