CHAPTER 38

A child's silence is scarier than a child's loudest cry.

. . .

[Yin's POV]

"I will kill you!"

Yin woke up at three in the morning with a frightening jolt, turning on the side lamp as her heart thumped in her ears at the sound of the cacophonous noise of Yoongi's scream, from right beside her on the bed. He was thrashing, tossing and turning on the duvet as though he was suffering deep pain but was still asleep, unaware.

"What's wrong? Yoongi wake up---"

"---I will kill you! I will kill you, you pathetic woman!"

"Yoongi!" Yin shook him frantically, alarmed.

His forehead had noticeable creases and he was almost drenched in his sweat when she cradled his face his her hands, hovering on top of him, unaware of such a predicament and so was her brain not able to figure out what she had to do. Should she call someone for help? Should she call Hoseok? Will Yoongi be okay?

She was dying with perturbation, helplessly she cried, "Yoongi please wake up! It's not true!"

"Get your filthy hands off me! I will tell daddy! Don't come near me!"

She hesitated, confused, was he addressing her? Then, bracing herself again, she shook him wildly this time.

"Wake the hell up, Yoongi! It is not true!"

And he did. He finally did wake up.

When his eyes opened, he blinked, his chest rising up and down heavily. She breathed out, a big breath of relief and wiped the sweat off his face with the back of her dress sleeve.

"What was happening to you?" she asked,  retracting to give him some space so that he could sit straight on the mattress.

His face was back to the stoic countenance he always had but something told Yin that he was, from within, deeply troubled. She touched his hand cautiously, just her fingertips brushed lightly on the back of his hand that rested on the bed, enough for him to discern that he was out of his reverie and that she was yet beside him.

She said, in a low and genuine voice, "do you want to talk about it?"

And then, Yin saw what she hadn't expected at all: he pulled his hand away, nestled his face in the palms, hiding his face behind it as his shoulders shook and soft wails then elicited from him. And he sobbed, cried so hard and cried with noise, she could hear the pain in his voice, as though it had been very long since he did it. She pulled him close to her bosom, her arms protectively encircling his body and let him cry all he wanted, until he was satisfied, until he felt relieved.

She didn't know how long had it been since they woke up but the risen sun told her it was presumably seven in the morning. Yoongi had stopped crying about an hour ago or so and now had his head laying on her lap, his eyes gazing at a distance quietly as he mindlessly played with her fingers. He still hadn't said a word and she didn't urge him to.

But then he looked at her in the eye, she paused and he, at last, said: "I killed a person."

She remained silent and thought, he meant in his nightmare.

He suddenly sat up straight, his hands on her shoulder, he said again, "I killed a person, Yin."

Then abruptly she knew it was true, something about the way he was saying felt it was true. Words couldn't come out of her mouth.

"Tell me, Yin, would you marry a murderer? Would you want to love someone who is a murderer?"

Her eyes swam up in their sockets, "why?" was all she could utter.