CHAPTER 37

To stand for the person you hate is the most genuine sincerity towards one's beliefs.

. . .

[Yin's POV]

"Death is a strange thing," Jin began reading, "people live their whole lives as if it does not exist, and yet it's often one of the great motivations for the living. Some of us, in time, become so conscious of it that we live harder, more obstinately, with more fury. Some need its constant presence to even be aware of its antithesis. Others become so preoccupied with it that they go into the waiting room long before it has announced its arrival."

"Thank you, Seokjin. You may sit down now," said Mr Anderson, looking at the myriad of heads in the classroom, attentive and quiet for the first time as he talked, "in the end, my children, what you must understand is, death is not something you should fear of. However, you should also not forget that death is inevitable. So finish your errands or promises you've made to your loved ones before it gets too tardy and when death comes to you, treat it as an old friend you were destined to meet again."

He paused and now and then, gazed between the youthful faces and his wristwatch interchangeably, "now, your homework"---the class broke into a whiny wail of unhappiness---"finish reading the book A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman and write four pages long essay on it. That is all for today."

As soon as Mr Anderson sauntered out, the class broke into a buzz of incessant chatter and talking, shuffling and packing as they began leaving the classroom. Yin was shoving her books in her drawstring backpack when she heard two familiar voices coming from behind and swiftly deemed them as that of the horsemen---Zhang Yumi and Luther Trevino---and instinctively, she did not know why but cowered away, hiding from their sight as they waddled down the aisle with Luther not quite capable of shutting his mouth while Yumi, thoroughly absorbed in her phone, did not find it amusingly important to pay heed to the boy.

"When death comes to you, treat it as an old friend...death is not something you should fear of," he mocked Mr Anderson, "watch him pee his pants if I place a gun on his head."

"Yeah, and I'll watch you get beaten to a pulp if you don't meet Novak at the den in five minutes."

"Oh shoot."

"You better run."

Luther Trevino tore, headlong through the crowd pushing past people, cursing at those who were thwarting his way and was soon out of sight from the front door.

Yin glanced across the room, Yoongi with his friends two rows away from her. He met her eyes and she nodded, reminding him that she was going with Sera for the wedding dress shopping. He blinked and smiled and for a whole thirty seconds, she was fighting the desire to be close to him until it dawned upon her that she was ridiculing herself for the unrequited love and hurried right out like the ground sloth, Sid, with tail on fire.

***

"This is too fancy and expensive. We want something simple," commented Sera, grimacing at the big, floral gown the wedding dress consultant brought.

Yin watched her outrageously, handing over the piece of clothing carefully back into the safe hands of the consultant. She was growing tired of this choosing game, picking, liking, trying, rejecting and then back to picking, an endless cycle that she cottoned upon when Sera picked the third gown. Yin thought she had already made up her mind not to buy a dress in the first place, yet was just lingering in the store to dally her time.

"This," in came the woman, exclaiming, swinging a dress in her arm, "you will absolutely love this!"

It was a beautifully fitted silhouette gown with an on-trend puff and half sleeves. The neck was simple, U-line and the back and front were both covered.