CHAPTER 47

When pretence wears off and he asks, “who are you?”
“Reality,” is what she replies.

. . .

[Yoongi's POV]

"No...Yin, what have you done?" Jimin came up to her side.

Yoongi stood cold stone at his place, unable to advance towards her. He couldn't believe what she had done and when he looked at her face, desperate to search for any remorse or rather any emotions, no found none and perhaps this was precisely what that terrified him to his bones and made him question, who are you?—for he didn't know this person.

This Yin had a face of such calmness and serenity it betrayed any expressions. She appeared as if she had intended to shoot, that she meant all of what she did and Yoongi wanted her to deny and plead, he wanted her to feel the guilt, something that would make her alive again.

"I'm asking you something, damn it!" Screamed Jimin, shaking her sides as tears welled up in his eyes.

But no one had been given enough time to comprehend what exactly had transpired because the cops barged in, quick in their steps as they got a hold of Yin's gun, the very first thing they did and then seized her by the scuff. This made Yoongi move.

"Step aside, man," grumbled a policeman when he attempted to reach her.

Please. Please, look at me.

He begged in his head but she didn't. She didn't even glance at him as the officers handcuffed her and pulled her with them; Zhang Yumi, Aydin Kadir and Luther Trevino were arrested and filed up behind her. Novak Connor had been the only one who had successfully escaped before the arrival of the cops and none were as vexed about that as Noh Hyangmi.

He didn't know whether what she had done was right or wrong but he was certain of one thing: he loved her despite her flaws, despite what she had done in the past and the present and no matter what he would protect her just the way she had once in their childhood.

***

"For the last time boy, no she cannot be bailed out at any cost. It's a murder case!" replied the exasperated policeman, putting Yoongi's incessant rumbling and bellows to a final halt.

"And you mustn't waste your time! Go back home!" And just like that, the man resumed his work, leaving Yoongi in the middle of the buzzing room, lost and helpless.

Suddenly, voices of officers complaining and shouting came from behind him and sharp clicking of heels. He turned just in time to see his mother, Ms Seoyoon Min, donned in a clean green suit and hair pulled back into a neat bun, defying the possibility of her ever being present at Crimson Bay, a couple of hours ago, came advancing right at the place where the policeman sat—who now looked up again, sighed considering he was tired.

He bleated, moaning in despair, "what is it now?"

"I would like to meet Michael Connor. Where is he?" she spoke without a single glance at her son, voice clear.

Michael Connor was Novak Connor's father, a well reputable officer.

"Mr Connor?" he questioned, eyebrows creasing, he perched at the door to his left once and then said with a flat answer, "he's busy."

"I'm afraid I have to interrupt him. This is important."

"Who are you?"

Yoongi thought the authoritative tone must have irked her because she raised her head, and tilted her head behind slightly to address her assistant: "you take care of this."

Then she walked right in the door to her right where the officer had glanced, leaving the man to protest and bluster. Yoongi watched patiently from the side of the room where he strutted as Ms Seoyoon Min's assistant, Hansol whispered words in the ear of the agitated policeman and eventually made him come to a state of calmness. Quite sometime later, Ms Seoyoon Min reentered along with an old man behind her, he was quite similar in appearance and had the same interesting colour of his eye as Novak.

"Let the girl out. File no complaints against her." He told the officer.

His mother smiled and shook hands, "thank you, Mr Connor."

"Oh, my pleasure." Then he went right back in.

In some moments, Yoongi found himself beside his mother, the same officer at the front as he was unlocking the cell in which Yin was kept.

"Out. You're free to go."

Yoongi gazed at her, his heart stopped with anxiousness when he saw her not even moving a muscle and merely staring distant, lost and so unalive. She looked so dead as if she had been starving for days, the cut on her cheek had dried blood on it. He hesitated and then her mother nudged him slightly in a silent command to move forward and he did, his feet moving on their own accord and he soon found himself moving towards her without fear. When he reached beside her, he could see her injuries more clearly, cuts on her hands, the deep cut on her cheek, when he picked up her hand, they were dead cold and her nails were ruined, dirt clinging to them. Her clothes were ragged and covered in dirt.

His heart could not bear it, bear the sight of her so broken and shattered. He took a breath in and pulled her up, making her stand and took her hand and guided her out of the cell.

"How?" That's all he managed to say.

"I told him that he kidnapped her and she shot him in defence."

Yoongi only nodded towards his mother and considered not questioning her on how they believed her words because she had that influence over everyone in Faburn city.

When they got out, he couldn't believe he was saying this but he thanked his mother.

She replied: "that's the least I can do."

When Yoongi got inside his Mercedes Benz along with Yin—who still hadn't uttered a single word, he could feel the need to talk to her, to make her say something.

"Are you okay?" He finally found the courage to ask.

No reply.

"Let's take you to a doctor first."

Again no answer.

He pulled out his phone and messaged Taehyung.

Mother got her out. Getting her to a doctor first.
seen 5:34 pm

Thank god. Please come to Jimin's house. Be quick.
seen 5:35 pm

He pushed the phone back into his pocket and started the engine. As the sun was setting, he wondered at the unbelievable transpiration of things that had changed everything between him and her.

He had this dreadful feeling that from now on nothing would ever be the same. For him and her.