CHAPTER 12

How petty of the ones who scare her, yet not knowing that the morbid sensibility of fear that she carries is the result of her everyday indulgence in it.

. . .

[Yin's POV]

Finding herself in the middle of the hallway, it was then she realized that she was in an open field with no living soul around or perhaps a few were ambushed, waiting for the perfect opportunity to lounge on her. She needed to find a hiding spot before someone would find her.

"The one I wanted to seek is not here in the party." Said a familiar voice and Yin stopped in her tracks.

Jin?

"Hots for someone, I see." Another very familiar voice spoke, making her twirl in her place to look around feverishly.

That was Jimin. She was certain.

Gazing around skittishly, she descried stark and distant shadows of two figures, strutting at the threshold. She laid low, backing away soundlessly.

When her back hit the wall behind, she positioned both black-gloved hands on the wall and flattened herself to it, gliding across torpidly without producing a single bit of noise.

"Why aren't you seeking?" Jin asked her brother.

"I don't know. I think I should look for Yin and drag her back to our house."

"She's your sister, isn't she?"

"Stepsister." The burning anger in Jimin's voice was discernable. "I fucking hate her."

Her advancing steps lapsed as his words hit her ears. It was undeniable that the two step siblings hated each other, loathed their fucking existence but every time Jimin would say that she didn't know why her heart would squeeze in pain.

Shaking the thought off her mind, she rounded the corner of the hallway that splintered into a few more hallways. At this point, she had no idea where her feet were taking her. Passing several doors, a few open while others closed, she tip-toed silently.

"What the hell are you doing here, Avery?" Someone hissed and Yin's head snapped to the source of the voice that came from a room, just a few feet away from her.

Keeping her lips sealed tightly, resisting the urge to peek, she slipped past the open door with nothing more than a whisper of stealth-black fabric and the slight scuff of her soft-soled shoes on the marble.

Towards the end of the hallway, she espied a back door, reckoning that it would lead her to the backyard, she sprinted for it as though her life was dependent on it. Flinging it open with all her might, she bolted out and turned around.

The soft smile of triumph that graced her lips barely now disappeared when she perceived the sight before her. Unlike her assumption, the back door did not lead to a backyard instead escorted her to a solarium.

The hexagonal-shaped room was enclosed in glass walls and ceiling through which soft and sullen moonlight permeated, stole down the wall and spread upon the tiled flooring. Taking a roundabout the perimeter of the solarium were the lined up trees and plants of various species and if it weren't for the two couches and a coffee table at the centre of the room, then Yin would've thought that she had come to an open glade, now bathed in the pale moonlight.

She strode around, looking up at starry night through the glass ceiling. The ethereal sight above her ensued her to forget for a moment she was in a middle of a game, however, that was until the rustling of leaves to her right caught her attention. The solarium was packed, no place for winds to enter then how did the leaves moved on their own? Then it struck her.