Part 61

Draco POV:
When the lights went out without her making a move from the chair, I knew I was in trouble. Astoria might not be mad, but she was definitely hurt. There was no telling how bad the damage might be. I was still kicking myself for letting those words out of my mouth. I knew she meant well. But it didn't seem like she understood. I had to talk back. Swagger like I owned the place and be as cheeky and reckless as possible. It was the only way I felt free. If I did everything Father told me all the time without saying anything or doing anything, I'd go crazy.

There was a slight sound in the darkness as she shifted, as though trying to get comfortable in the chair she was perched on. I hadn't thought it possible to make me feel any more like a jerk, but apparently it was. The only reason she was in this position was because of me and my big mouth. I doubted an apology would make any difference right now.

I sat up before trying to extend my olive branch. "Astoria.." I struggled to find the right words to say, "that chair can't be comfortable. You can get in the bed, I won't bite you."

"That still leaves a lot of other options open." It would have been a tease if she hadn't said it so quietly. With none of her regular confidence and warmth.

"I promise I won't touch you or do anything. Now would you just come and sleep." It was silent for a moment before she moved again. Slowly, cautiously, she made her way to the bedside. There was a rustle of fabric before she slid in the bed, as far away from me as possible.

It was quiet for a really long time after that. It was clear that neither of us would be getting very much sleep unless one of us said something. "I don't want you to be like me you know." She whispered it, like part of her didn't want me to hear. I hadn't laid back down yet, so I looked over at the lump on the bed that was Astoria. "It's a horrible feeling obeying everything all the time. You were right when you said it was stifling. I just... I don't want you being reckless to the point you hurt yourself. Act out all you want, just know where to draw the line. Our fathers are horrible people and they deserve a bit of frustration, but if it does you more harm than good... just be careful."

She curled in on herself, holding the blanket tight around her. I felt incredibly guilty. Of course she was just looking out for me and I got all mad. "I'm sorry." She rolled over to look over at me.

"For what?" She sounded so tired it reminded me of our first real talk in the common room. Her looking adorably sleepy while curled up as small as possible on a couch illuminated only by the dying firelight.

"Everything. Being a jerk when we first talked, and the second time. Yelling at you when you got lost and just now when you were just trying to protect me. Which I can totally handle by the way." I'm fairly sure she rolled her eyes at me.

"Of course you can." It was a grumble, but she sounded like she was in a better mood. There was a small pause.

"Were you actually sitting in a window at the top of the tallest tower?" One of the servants had come and told me in the ensuing disaster that was dinner. I had still been in a bad mood, Mother was mad at both me and Father, Mr. Greengrass had been irritated that Astoria was missing, and Father had still been stewing. The only one who seemed their normal self was Mrs. Greengrass, and I wasn't yet sure what was wrong with her.

"Maybe." She mumbled. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

"Because I'm fairly sure you gave half the household a heart attack."

"That doesn't seem like a me or you problem." She mumbled already half asleep. I couldn't help but smile down at her.

"Now that's no way to be, little star." She yawned.

"Oh shut up. I have to be up early. I'm fairly sure Mother is going to be dragging me off to some beauticians tomorrow and I can't deal with that unless I have a full night of sleep."

I finally lay back down, much closer to Astoria than I had been originally. She blinked up at me slowly. "I'm gonna break my promise now."

She frowned. "Which promise?"

I slid my arm around her waist and pulled her close. "That one. And I don't think you need to go to the beauticians either. We can just sleep in tomorrow."

"Sounds like a plan." And just like that, she was out. I let out a small chuckle, and she stirred, eventually cuddling even closer. You'd think a star would be more of a night person.

Kind of short, I know. Sorry I haven't been active recently, but thank you to all of you that did read! Please vote or comment for the Parts you like! It's really helpful for improving my writing, and it's always nice to know what you guys are thinking! I'll update again soon, I promise. ~M.H.