Part 25

Astoria POV:
I woke up to a bad pain slightly below my stomach. I curled up tighter, as if it would make it subside. Love these days. Slowly I unwound. Pushing myself up onto one arm, I looked around to find some kind of gage at how long I'd been out.

When I saw the time I wasn't as surprised as the last time I'd been up here. It'd been about three hours, the others were probably still at Hogsmeade.

I glanced over at Draco and nearly jumped out of my skin. When did he get so close? We hadn't actually been touching, but he'd rolled slightly, his face probably coming within inches of mine in our sleep. I couldn't tell for sure, but he looked a bit cold. Our common room and dorm were placed in the dungeons of a drafting stone castle at the end of October. Slipping off the bed, I pulled the covers over him sideways, so that he was almost rolled up in them. He looked kind of cute.

More importantly, I hoped he wouldn't be mad at me for messing up his covers. I could always fix them later anyway. Feeling a need to visit the restroom, I looked around the room.

There was a door I hadn't noticed before. A few feet from the base of the bed. I grabbed my bag and opened it cautiously. Inside was a simple bathroom. One of this shower/bath combinations on one end, and a toilet and sink on the other. A mirror hung above the sink, and I averted my gaze. I'd have to fix my hair afterwards.

After taking care of my business and fixing my hair, I exited to find a sleepy, but awake Draco looking through my notes. He'd moved to the top of the bed so he could slip under covers. He had fixed them too. So that the bottom was as it was before I had covered him with it. I winced. He wouldn't yell at me for that, right?

I closed the bathroom door, a bit louder than necessary, and he looked up. Setting my notes aside he gave me a once over, as if making sure I was there, and taking in my appearance at the same time. I fidgeted a little, playing with my fingers. It was then I noticed I wasn't wearing gloves. The emerald engagement ring clear for all to see. Crap. I looked around almost frantically for them. I could've sworn I had them on when I came up.

"If your looking for your gloves, I took them off when you fell asleep. You told me you weren't used to sleeping with them on, and I figured you might want a break from them." Malfoy said, eyeing the way I was fidgeting my hands.

I started toying with the ring. Spinning it around my finger. An uncomfortable silence fell. I began to ache a bit, needing to sit down.  So slowly I made my way back to my original position. Draco watched me the whole time, and it was kind of getting on my already frayed nerves. Finally I looked back at him.

"What?" I sounded ridiculously exasperated. His eyebrows shot up at my tone.

"Nothing." I was very tempted to scoff at him, but I held it in. And I'm Dolores Umbridge.

"Sure." He narrowed his eyes at me.

"Are you always this moody when you wake up?" Do you always stare this much when you wake up?

"Maybe. Maybe not." He continued to study me. Seemingly confused. Yeah you better be confused. Dumb male.

"Ok then. You gonna tell me more about this?" He asked, shaking my notes. I pretended to think about it.

"Mm... no." He set them down the bed before sliding out and walking up to me.

"You sure your okay?" What, I can't be sassy every once and a while?

"I'm fine." He gave me the If you say so look and sat down next to me.

"You don't have to stay if you don't want to." He spoke to his lap. I let out a sigh.

"Sorry. It's just..." I trailed off. How was I supposed to explain that lady issues, and stress, and me don't make a pretty combination. "Everything." I finished lamely.

He gave me a look of understanding. You understand nothing. "I get it I guess. Bet you never thought you'd find yourself betrothed to the school player." Draco seemed a little sad.

I shrugged. "Actually it wasn't that surprising. There aren't many pure blood families left. Pair that with your families prestige, and chances are pretty high."

"Prestige huh? And they didn't say anything about my good looks?" He smirked. I gave him a once over before shaking my head.

"Nah. Wouldn't add to the appeal." He put a hand over his heart.

"You wound me."

"Eh. Your ego is pretty big. I'm sure you'll be fine."

"You sure about that?" When he looked over at me we fell silent for a bit. I don't think that was meant as a joke.

"I.. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have..." my first instinct was to apologize. It wasn't often you got yelled at for apologizing. He shook his head.

"It's fine. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have ruined your fun." He looked over at me, his expression curious. "Why do you do that?"

"What?" I was confused. Was I doing something wrong? I began twisting the engagement ring on my finger nervously.

"Why are you always... so scared? You apologize all the time." I didn't apologize that often did I? Was it annoying? I started when a warm hand covered both of mine. Stopping my fidget. Draco drew his hand back quickly.

"Sorry. You were driving me crazy." My hands remained frozen in my lap. I didn't dare go back to fidgeting now.

"Astoria?" I looked over at him. Almost cricking my neck. He had never said my name before. "You didn't answer." I hummed quietly.

"You said your fun." I was dodging the question, and he knew it.

"So?" I looked up at him, scrutinizing.

"It's only fun if we're both enjoying it." His smirk was back. And surprisingly, I was happy to see it.