Part 23

Draco POV:
The day of Halloween was exhausting. People were exhausting, and I just wanted to get away. Smiling, saying the right thing, was impossible right now. So I did what any honest person would do in my situation, I faked an illness.

Call it the Slytherin in me or whatever, but it worked. Everyone left me alone believing me to have a contagious cold, giving me time to myself. Possibly for a nap.

I hadn't slept nearly as well since that night with Astoria. It's like once I knew what it felt like with another person in there, my mind couldn't except the way it was before. It didn't help that we hadn't talked since. I still wanted to know why she looked so scared that morning. And why she was so good at magic. But she was always around Fred and George.

I recognized that I was most likely biased, but I feel like they would put her against me. Ron was able to do that just fine with Harry. Really I think we would've been the best of friends if it weren't for that little weasel.

I was in the common room again. Third years and up we're out at Hogsmeade and the others were out on the grounds, enjoying the clear, chilly weather while it lasted.

Sprawled across an emerald couch, I had long given up on reading my book in favor of throwing my arm across my eyes and trying to sleep. Key word being trying.

I felt like one of the mermaids or something was watching me. But when I heard a shuffle I bolted upright. Scaring the crap out of Greengrass. Not literally of course. That would've been weird.

She gave out a small squeak, a few papers and books falling out of the massive stack in her arms. I went to help her pick them up, but didn't give them back.

Astoria simply eyed me warily. I noticed she didn't seem to speak much. Not even around the Weasley's. I just waited, not backing down. Eventually she gave a small, resigned sigh.

"Malfoy, can I please have my papers back?" I could feel my spirits fall a bit, at her refusal to call me Draco. I thought our talk had meant something. But I kept my face neutral, bored even.

"Why? What on earth would you need: 'Powerful Potions Ingredients and their many uses' for? I know for a fact your not failing potions and that this is completely unnecessary information." My face colored a bit when I let it slip out that'd I'd been watching her in Potions class. Clearly, I was more tired than I thought.

I know she noticed it too, but she kept her face smooth as the surface of a lake. One ripple of shock, and then it was gone.

"Not everything I do is 'necessary' Malfoy." I cringed a bit at my last name.

"Can you just call me Draco? Please?" What on earth was I doing? I really needed a nap. Apparently Astoria had caught on to my weird behavior. She studied me closely, giving me the chance to do the same to her.

She wasn't in her usual Slytherin robes, instead opting for a more traditional fall look. A stylishly big silver knit sweater slipped of one of her shoulders to expose a light purple shirt. Astoria was also wearing light blue jeans and boots. Her hair thrown up into a one of those messy buns that drove guys mad. Some of her hair left out to gently frame her flawless face. Well, almost flawless. Her eyes had bags under them, and she looked utterly exhausted. But adorable.

I don't want to know what she thought I looked like. Probably like I hadn't had decent sleep in weeks. Which, I hadn't.

"Are you okay? Do you need to lay down again?" She winced slightly, "sorry for bothering you earlier." I managed a small smile, tired as I was, so she would know I wasn't mad.

"It's fine. I wouldn't have gotten much rest anyway." She eyed me dubiously.

"Maybe you should go to bed. I can get a house elf to help." I shook my head.

"A house elf won't help." She fixed me with a look.

"Then what do I do to get my book back?"

I thought about it. And then because my tired self wanted to make me look as childish as possible, I said, "Stay with me till I fall asleep?"

"Why?" She didn't sound surprised, and my stomach sank. She didn't think I was like Knott did she?

"Never mind. You can have your book, I'll be fine." I handed her the book and began to make my way up the stairs, her stare burning into my back until I was finally out of sight.