Part 24

Astoria POV:
I watched him go feeling a little guilty. He had looked utterly exhausted, to the point of being ill. His button up had been rumpled, the first button beneath his chin undone and his tie missing. His dress slacks were clinging to their pressed state. His eyes had bags looking heavier than mine. Matched with his rumpled hair and sleepy smile, let's just say he looked good. I can admit he is attractive, as in appealing to the eye. It doesn't mean I'll fall for it.

No his pallor has me much more worried. He was practically as pale as a ghost, and his barrier was suddenly see through. I had seen the hurt when I called him Malfoy, and when I had asked him why he wanted me in his room. It was an honest question really.

I sighed and put my books down. I was going to regret this, but maybe I could get answers out of him in his sleepy state. I kinda liked tired Draco. He was more honest than the normal one.

I slowly made my way up all the flights of stairs. By the time I got to the top my legs burned. How on earth had he gotten me all the way up here? Right, he's a wizard.

I knocked on the door softly before opening it slowly. Draco lay sprawled across his bed, just staring up at the ceiling. I walked over carefully before sitting on the very edge of the bed.

"Why?" He asked softly. I unlaced my boots, pulling them off before drawing my knees to my chin.

"Why what?" He turned his head to look at me while I continued to study the wall. He chuckled softly.

"Why a lot of things. Why were you scared that morning? Why did you come anyway? Why did you have that book? Why are you so good at magic? And why, why do I care?" His voice grew soft at the end. Almost to a whisper as he shifted his gaze back to the ceiling, as if it held all the answers.

I sighed and let go of my legs, folding them beneath me. "Life is full of why's isn't it. Why didn't you leave me in the common room? Why did you bring me my bag? Why did you chase Knott off? Why did you want me up here? Why did fate have to tie us together? Why, when all my life people have missed me, simply letting me slip through their mind, did you notice?" He rocked upwards then, coming and sitting own beside me, kicking his legs over the edge of the bed. Leaning back on his hands he looked over at me.

"How could anyone not?" Our grey eyes collided when I turned to look at him. Like a silent battle of wills, who would give in and answer first. He looked away first.

"I guess I wanted you up here so it wouldn't feel so empty. Alone." I watched him carefully. His body language relaxed, his breathing normal. He wasn't lying.

"Why me though?" He glanced over at me again.

"Because I think you understand." My right hand brushed the bags I knew resided under my eye, before dropping back down to my lap.

"It's your turn to answer a question now." I frowned a little, and he settled onto his back again, looking up at me. "Don't give me that look, it's only fair. I answered one of yours." I shot him a glare, but it was halfhearted. His playful tone getting the better of me. I turned my gaze back toward the wall.

"I'm using the book to see if I can make a new potion. One that allows people to communicate telepathically. It would work something like the Polyjuice potion. Two or more people having the hairs of others they wish to communicate with. There would have to be a spell made for blocking the others, but I'm not sure how permanent the potion would be." I could feel him looking at me.

"Wow." It was a whisper, but I could hear the awe in his voice. It made me uncomfortable, so I shrugged.

"I don't know if it will work. It's still just a theory." We fell into silence again, Draco turning back to look at the ceiling. It was a comfortable silence though.

"You can lay down if you are tired. You look like you need a nap almost as bad as me." I gave him a strange look. Truth be told I was exhausted. I pulled my wand out of my sleeve and locked the door. Even Alohomora couldn't get through it.

Draco raised his head to see what I was doing before looking at me quizzically. I blushed but rolled my eyes, trying to cover it. "We don't want anyone to know we're engaged remember? What if someone were to walk in on us sleeping? If they come back before we wake up, when they knock we can play it off like we were studying." I explained gesturing to the stack of books I'd brought with me. "Everyone knows your amazing in potions. We could say you were helping me."

His look turned from confused to understanding, and he laid back down again. Slowly, I laid down beside him, curling up on my side to face him. Call me paranoid, but I was uncomfortable with the idea of him at my back.

Draco put his hand behind his head, continuing to stare at the ceiling. Almost lazily, his other hand pulled out his wand and whispered "Nox" the lights went out. And soon, I was out too.

This week has been an amazing writing week. I do warn that it is unlikely that this will continue. I will still be updating this book, hopefully once a week, but I have started another story, so my time will be somewhat divided. It's a werewolf story, so if you into that, go ahead and check it out. To my Potterhead friends, I do plan on writing other such stories in the future for you guys too. I just like to play with all kinds of characters. If I was unclear or if you have questions just comment on this little speal, and I'll get back to you.
~ M.H.