Part 48

Astoria's POV:
"What." Draco just blinked, gaping at me.

I wonder if it's harder for him to think in the mornings. Obviously, and unfortunately, waking up early did nothing to make him look worse. His hair was ruffled and a bit messy. Without his button up, you could see the the lean muscles on his torso that I was ineffectively trying to ignore. I'd never seen a shirtless guy before. Maybe they all looked like this. Somehow, I doubted it.

It also did not help that I was sure my hair was a tangled mess. I only ever looked somewhat decent in the mornings, once in a full moon. I was also very aware of the fact I was wearing one of his shirts. Although this time, I'd kept my under things on.

"Hang on, why are you sorry? You didn't do anything." Right. Except you know, slap you in the face, call you an idiot in latin, and generally act like a crazy lady. I think my look said it all, since he amended. "Nothing much."

I shook my head. "I shouldn't have freaked out. We both had an exhausting day yesterday, and I shouldn't have slapped you." A small smile was beginning to bud at the corners of his mouth. "But next time, you keep that Slytherin Prissy Prince under better control."

He was back to looking confused. I waved him off. "You'll get it eventually."

"I'd get it a whole lot faster if you told me."

Touche. "The bratty persona you show to your parents. The one that is reckless to the point of stupidity. The much more blatant flirt." I decided to call it flirting. I like to think I was somewhat experienced in detecting flirts, but I honestly had no idea. I'd never had a girl best friend who'd bump shoulders and tell me 'that cute guy was totally flirting' with me.

Draco sulked. "I can flirt."

I busied myself with combing my hands through my hair to avoid looking at him. "I never said you couldn't."

"That means you think I can't." I flipped my hair over my shoulder.

"Whatever you say."

Suddenly, he was very, very close. I could feel his breath on my neck and froze. "Well then. We'll just have to change that opinion."

Once I was sure my heart rate was under control, I turned to look at him. Our noses brushed, he was that close. "I suppose that has to do with whether you have the ability."

Draco growled slightly under his breath. I only heard it because he was so close. In a blink, he was standing a couple feet away. Running a hand through his hair and muttering to himself. I called over to him. "Don't hurt yourself thinking about it."

He stormed over to his closet and closed the door behind him. I thought I heard him yell "Evil woman!" from the other side, but I couldn't be sure.

Oh heck. I began to tremble slightly on the bed. "Ego sum stultus." (I am an idiot.) I muttered to myself. Pushing my hand into my hair I tried to hold on. My breathing came faster and shallower, and I could tell I was slipping.

Flashback

"Papa!" I was young. Perhaps five or six. I had wanted to be helpful. Papa had been working so hard. Maybe if I helped him he wouldn't be so grumpy. "Look! I helped!"

It was a stack of papers from his desk, covered in a child's scrawl. I had thought they were fairly well done. I didn't quite understand all the big words, but I'd scribbled on all the lines where Papa always wrote them. Papa would be proud. Papa would be happy.

But he wasn't.

"What did you do?! What kind of devilish child are you?! You aren't supposed to go into my study, you know that!" I began to sob. Crying.

"Papa I-"

"No! Go to your room! I don't want to see you! You-you evil child!" I was full on crying now. I ran all the way back to my room where my governess scolded me for getting away. She was fired the same day. Papa never talked to me the same again.

That was the last day I called him Papa.

I tried to suck in a deeper breath. Tears had spilled when I'd squeezed my eyes shut, and I tried to wipe them all away with shaking hands. Papa. I had almost forgotten I had once called him that.

I went about trying to gather myself together before Draco appeared again. I think I knew him enough that I knew he wouldn't do a similar thing. But in some ways he and my father were so alike I couldn't help but fear. I scrambled to get my clothes as fast as I could. There was a sky blue day dress I managed to snatch. Along with a pair of socks and heeled boots charmed for comfort, with my makeup bag and hair brush. I darted into the bathroom just as I began to hear the closet door open. Maybe he would leave? I didn't hear another door open. So instead I changed as fast as I could. Yanking the brush through my hair. I pulled the front strands back and tied it with a sky blue ribbon. I applied light makeup. Mascara, eyeliner, and eyeshadow. It was almost therapeutic for me. Like placing my armor on. One brush stroke at a time.

By the time I left the bathroom I was calm. Trying to ignore Draco, I walked over to my suitcase and pulled out a small pack of mints. If father knew I had them he'd freak. I popped one in my mouth and replaced it, my makeup bag, and hair brush into my trunk. I folded the shirt carefully and set it aside.

I dug through my suitcase. I was sure mother had put my jewelry somewhere. Now where is it? Finally finding the right earrings and a simple, but pretty charm bracelet, I put them on before closing the top of my trunk. Placing the shirt on top, I brushed myself off and stood, coming almost face to face with Draco.

"Umm, hello." He just smirked at me. Was he watching me the whole time?

He'd fixed his hair somehow, and wore a dark red button down, plain black tie, with a grey vest and black slacks. I'll say this, I took his smirk way more seriously when he didn't have bed hair and sleepy eyes.

He held out his hand, and I could see the silver gleam of a watch on his wrist. I looked at him suspiciously. What was he up to? "Come on. Our parents want us to spend more time together. I'm sure I can convince them to let us go shopping." I raised an eyebrow. Based on his conduct yesterday, I highly doubted it. He sighed. "Do you trust me?" Not in the slightest. But I kept it to myself and reluctantly put my hand in his. He intertwined our fingers and sounded incredibly smug. "A horrible decision really. Grab your coat, we're sneaking out."

I should've known.