Part 38

Draco POV:
She curled into me, and I was sure she could hear my heart beating. I pulled the letter from her grasp and threw it across the room. I really just wanted to throw it in her parents faces. I'd already read it, and knew the gist of what it said. She'd be going home for Christmas for a visit to my Manor. They would make our engagement public. They'd sign contracts and start her modeling career. That was it. There wasn't even a "Love mum and dad" at the end. Instead it was signed "father".

I had meant every bit of what I said. It was my first time calling her "star" out loud. And it had fit so well. Our lives weren't storybook perfect. We didn't get the best parents, the loyal best friends, the adventure. The romance. We couldn't take the pain away. I wasn't going to fight her battles if she didn't want me to. As much as I wanted to slug her father, I wouldn't. There was a good chance we'd never be able to comprehend what the other had gone through. The thing that I would say a Slytherin wants the most, is to know that someone, anyone, will be there for you. Gryffindors strive to protect, Hufflepuffs strove to stand with, the Ravenclaws... well. No one really knows what they did. But Slytherins. We have the back way out. We are the people who just want someone to come back to. A person to belong to. Friend, family, we weren't picky.

I don't think she cried. Or let lose a single tear. But we stayed there for a long while on my bedroom floor. I didn't want to let go. Letting go would be like closing your favorite book. A sad return to reality, when all you wanted to do was stay in the magic of the story. But eventually, it has to happen. Moments, like stories, don't last forever.

She pulled back and the moment was gone. Astoria glared at me, and pointed an accusing finger in my direction. "One day, we will have a normal conversation, a normal day without me breaking down. And one day, your gonna be the mess and not me. Got it?" I smirked at her.

"Oh but you look so cute when you need a hug." She glowered at me.

"No. Not cute. No hugs."

"Is the angry kitty in denial?"

"No! Blast it. Why did I decide to hang out with boys? I didn't know I'd get engaged to an air head!" I winced.

"Geez woman. You have the lung capacity of an opera singer." She poked me in the chest.

"It's your fault you blasted boy. You did this."

"Stop that! How is this my fault?" She poked me with every word she spoke.

"This. Is. All. Your. Fault. You. Twit." I tried grabbing her arm, but then she poked me with her other hand.

"Goodness gracious woman! Would you stop that?"

"Or what? Your father will hear about it?"

"It was one time!" I successfully grabbed her other wrist and she gave me a dubious look.

"You sure about that?"

"Yes!" I let go of her wrist to rub my chest with my left hand. "And ouch. That hurt."

She stuck out a very full lip that I did my best to ignore. "Aww. Does wittle Dwaco have an owie?"

I let go of her other arm to fold mine across my chest. "It's not my fault I'm so dang muscular. I don't have any fat to protect me from you." To my relief she pulled her lip back in. Rolling her eyes at me before she responded.

"Sure. And I'm six feet tall."

"Aww, is someone sensitive about her height?" Astoria scowled at me, her dark brows coming together, and her forehead wrinkling.

"Now listen here you oaf- what are you doing?" I had reached over to poke the wrinkles in her forehead.

"You don't want to have lines like an old woman do you?" She swatted my hand away.

"If I get any they'll be because of you. I've never met anyone so frustrating in my life." I winked.

"It's part of my charm." She huffed, disbelievingly.

"I don't know what I just witnessed, but Dray, your flirting skills need work." Astoria spun around so fast she nearly fell back into my lap. I just glared at my cousin.

"What do you need now Nick." He shrugged, moving to lean against the doorframe.

"I wanted to know why you left dinner so fast and what the package was for." Astoria stirred as if to get up, but I reached out an pulled her back to me.

"Well now you've stopped by. Thank you for the concern. Goodbye." He tutted, shaking his head at me.

"That's no way to be cuz. Now be a pal and share the beautiful lady." I scowled at him.

"No." I felt a finger on my forehead and looked down at Astoria. "What?" She gave me a cheeky grin.

"You'll get wrinkles and look like an old man if you keep that up." I scowled lightly at her.

"You're impossible." She winked.

"It's part of my charm." Oh she did not.

"Why you little..." She jumped up and went to run out the door where Nick stood laughing. I pounced, successfully picking up a thrashing Astoria. She shrieked.

"What on earth are you doing?! Let me go!" At least, that's what I think she said. She was laughing so hard it became difficult to make out the words.

I walked over and dropped her on the bed, making her bounce, and causing the package to drop to the floor with a thump. Quickly she scooted to the edge of the bed. Leaning over to peak at the package she asked me "What is that?"

"I don't know, it's yours." She rolled her eyes at me.

"Oh so you go through my mail but don't open my packages. How courteous of you." I gave her a small bow.

"I aim to please." Just then Nick decided to remind us of his presence by jumping on my back. "Oof. What did you have for dinner? Bricks?"

"One should never ask another persons weight. Now open the package!" Astoria bent over and picked up the paper wrapped bundle while I wrestled to get Nick off.

"Get of me. You weigh as much as a troll."

"Ouch cuz." He slid off and to the floor with a thud.

"Umm... Astoria? You okay?" She slammed her hands down to cover the now open package.

"Yeah why?" Her hands were shaking slightly, and her face had lost some of its color.

"No reason. What was in there?" She licked her lips nervously.

"Nothing."

"Honestly. The two of you are impossible. Give it here." Nick moved to take the parcel from Astoria, but she clung to it, causing it to rip in half, dumping a bundle of... I'm not sure it could have been classified as clothing. Nick whistled. "Dang."