Part 29

Draco POV:
I really need to start carrying around a wizarding camera. I don't want to look like that Creevey boy though, so I might shrink it. Really that moment when Astoria laughed was one I wanted forever. She looked so happy. Her nose and cheeks red from the cold. She had snow in her hair, and a few flakes caught in her eyelashes. Attempting to cover her laugh with one emerald clad hand, while the other clutched her stomach, as if she was trying to contain the sound bubbling up out of her mouth. It had been perfect.

She lead the way back to the castle. Her smile gone. She wasn't as gloomy as before. But as we trudged back to the castle whatever weight had been temporarily relieved from her shoulders, was back.

I didn't push her. If she wanted me to know she would tell me. After having so many people up in my business, I try to respect others privacy. I searched my mind for a safe question to ask.

"If your gonna talk just talk. I'm skipping class because of you, you better make it worth my while." She didn't even look back. Her tone was forced cheerfulness. I didn't need to see her face to tell that it was fake. Her head was held high, but her shoulders drooped.

"Can you promise me something?" I jogged a bit to catch up to her. She didn't even look over at me, just continued marching on. Her gaze fixed on the front doors of the castle.

"Depends."

"Can you be honest with me? Always? No fake smiles. Not even little white lies." I got enough of it from others. I wanted there to be one person I could trust. And I wanted to be the person she came to.

She let out a heavy sigh. "I'm not sure. I can't remember there ever being a time where I was fully... me."

"Well then, maybe we can try to be honest with each other." She just nodded absently. "Which means you have to answer my next question honestly. Or ignore it, your choice." This earned me a wary side eye. "Are you okay?" She stopped walking and I stopped and turned to face her. She was staring at me, like it would've been a glare if she had enough energy.

Her laugh this time was a little hallow. An empty shell of a girl. But not quite. She was in there. Just afraid to come out. "Darn you Malfoy." We stood there for a bit in silence.

"I'm not going to apologize for asking." My voice was cold. Even to my own ears.

"I didn't expect you to." She started walking again. And I followed.

When we got to the doors of the castle, she looked up at me. The happy mood had completely disappeared. "I..." she trailed off. She chuckled dryly, rubbing her forehead with her gloved hands. She spoke, seemingly to herself.  "Why does this have to be so difficult?"

I felt myself smirk. "Depends."

She eyed me evily. "You come up with that on your own Malfoy?" I dodged the question.

"It's Draco to you." She made a face at me.

"Dodging the question Malfoy?" I shrugged.

"Maybe." A gust of wind picked up, and I shivered in my wet robes. Astoria gave me a guilty look.

"We should get inside. Don't want the royalty to get a cold." We walked through the front doors together, keeping an eye out for Filch or Mrs Norris.

"You do realize you were talking about yourself too, right?" If Astoria had been raised in almost any other household, she probably would've snorted. As it was, she seemed to barely refrain from rolling her eyes.

A large CRACK! sounded. And in front of Astoria stood a little female house elf.

"You didn't eat your lunch mistress. You can't keep skipping meals." What did she mean 'keep skipping meals'?! I shot Astoria a mild glare. She tensed a little, but kept her focus on the elf.

"I know, I know. I'm sorry Winky, things came up." She was apologizing to a house elf? Was it hers? Why?

The house elf in question gave Astoria a long look. "Fine. I assume you want some hot cocoa, and warm blankets delivered to the common room? I can bring you your lunch then."

"Could you make one apple cider actually?" Astoria asked. I gave her a weird look. She noticed and told me:"I prefer apple cider."

Okay weirdo. Chocolate for me, any day and every day. "Winky?" Astoria called right before the elf left, "Did... did the boys eat?" I can't say I didn't care, because I did. A lot. What on earth had happened? Why had she not eaten lunch? Why had she skipped meals before? What was she not telling me? I didn't want to push her, but something needed to happen.

Winky glanced over at me before looking back at her mistress. "They came by looking for you. Left with a few bread rolls. Some were stuffed and such." Astoria let out what seemed to be a sigh of relief.

"That's good. Thank you Winky, if you could get those things to the common room, I'd be very grateful." It was interesting to see her interact with her house elf this way. I felt a pang when I realized it's how I used to talk to Dobby.

Oftentimes, father and mother were too busy to talk, or didn't want to hear what I had to say about school. So much of my time was spent talking to our house elf, almost like friends. I missed him a lot, but knew he was probably better off free than under my father.

"Draco?" Astoria was looking at me strangely, and the house elf was gone. "Are you with me?"

I winked at her. "Till the end of time Princess." She rolled her eyes. But despite her efforts, I could see the corners of her lips tick up. I shook my head at her. "Ah ah ah, remember. No pretending with me princess." She made a face at the nickname.

"Must you call me that?" I looked at her, confused.

"Don't girls like being called princess?"

"Well I'm a girl, and I don't like it." She pointed out, I was slightly baffled.

"Why not?" She started walking in the direction of the common room and I hurried after her.

"Well one, because you've probably used it with other girls, like Pansy, who I want nothing to do with. And two, because all the princesses in story books and what not are all waiting to be rescued. Most if not all are fragile little flowers, absolutely useless and stuck because they refuse to stand up for themselves, preferring to let the men do it. And the ones in real life can be manipulative and dishonest. There is absolutely no appeal for me. I don't want to be viewed as some delicate thing looked up in a tower, or in a house, waiting for some prince to rescue me." Huh.

"Guess I'll have to come up with a different nickname then."

I apologize about the crappy endings these last few chapters. I don't want to end up with ridiculously long updates. Partially because they take forever to write, and because sometimes they get boring to read.
Thank you all for reading, please comment any thoughts or ideas you might have, I appreciate every comment, read, and vote!
I will shut up now. Bye!~M.H.