Chapter 2

"Eun Suhyun. I'm the assigned trainer for the rookies today," I told the check-in staff.

Once they had confirmed me, they gave me the keycard to step into the training field.

It was rather nostalgic as I hadn't been here since I was a rookie. It was my first time to do a training session since I was usually out on the field when it happened, but I guess there's a first for everything.

When I arrived, the ten of them were warming up while nervously chattering amongst each other. Ah yes, rookies and their endless assumptions about what they thought stuff was going to be like.

"Listen up! I will be your field trainer for the day! I am Eun Suhyun," I announced, startling all of them.

The whispers only quickened amongst the prying ears as they reiterated my name. I was kind of a celebrity around here. Or a 'hero' as some would call it.

"Today, you ten will be provided with general rules of the wild. Most of this session is just to review what I'm sure you all already studied hard enough anyway, considering you are standing in this room with me. Getting this far is an accomplishment, and that means you pulled it off, so this should be nothing more than a reminder and some pro-tips. Any questions before we begin?"

The group was still. Even though they were adults around my age, there was respect and fear of me that prodded my ego.

"Perfect. We have much to do today, so our warmup is short. I want fifteen laps around this field. But, before you all go crazy sprinting, listen to what I want. Every lap, your speed needs to change. I don't care how, I don't care to what speed. And while doing so, you will avoid the obstacles we had built in for these sessions. I don't want to see who gets first. I want to see who knows what they're doing. Get going!"

"Yes Miss Eun!" They all saluted before taking off.

I picked up my clipboard scanning through the names and information of the rookies.

Ahn Hyejun
Baek Yuna
Jeon Jungkook
Ju Jihan
Jung Hoseok
Kang Sera
Kim Namjoon
Kim Taehyung
Park Jimin
Ryu Jisu

All ranging from the age of 22 to 27 with backgrounds in different law enforcement training prior to joining this organization.

From what I had heard, there were forty rookies in total.

Ten were the on-field team who were here training with me. Ten more were the on-fields counterparts, the direction team who were training with people like Arin and Seokjin. And then there were twenty more rookies distributed amongst the many aspects of forensics and analysis teams that we had.

A capable bunch from what I had heard.

One by one they began to finish their laps, Jeon Jungkook being the first, followed by Ryu Jisu, and eventually the others.

"Good job. Now that you're all tired, let's begin," I grinned, watchfully observing the heavy-breathing newbies.

They were lined up in a horizontal row, watching me sidle in front of them with a harsh glance at them.

I scoffed, seeing how all of them but one were lying through their teeth. Pretending to not have an ounce of fear in them. I knew that was a lie because I've been there before. When I was doing on-field training, my trainer told us that hiding your fear only holds back your body's natural reaction to danger. And failing to acknowledge it is only going to hurt you more.

All but one were hiding their fear. I approached the man tentatively, giving him a once over. He was a little taller than me, built, handsome, and awfully nervous.