Chapter 7

Slight violence warning ⚠️ also play song for effect 🤭
_________________________________

"As we approach the end of our night, I think it's important to highlight how hard these dancers have worked. Day and night they have perfected their moves and lines down to each nook and cranny to put on the spectacular performance they did today. It took hard work and grit, and I know as they mature that they can use what they've learned to benefit them in the world, even if they do not pursue dance. As a surprise for all of you in the audience and something I've been telling my students about for a while, we have some very special alumni returning. As former students of mine, they were offered to put on a special performance to end our concert and they graciously agreed. So allow me to introduce Hyun Eunsu, a local fitness trainer, and Kim Jongho, a fellow dance teacher at a local senior school."

I gave Hoseok one last nod of encouragement before stepping out from behind the curtains.

I instinctively held his hand protectively, just like Sae had done for me on my first mission.

I took the mic from the stand and held it between the two of us.

"Hello! I'm Eunsu and this is Jongho. We hope you've all enjoyed the show so far. They've all worked super hard and it brings back fond memories from when we were younger. We will be performing a dance with contemporary and hip-hop elements and we hope you will all enjoy before heading out," I introduced.

Some of the staff took the microphones away leaving just a wide open stage for Hoseok and I.

He gave me a nervous glance as he got into position. But he was good at flipping the switch inside him. From casual to business. And when it came to dance, that was all business for him.

I took one last look at the organization members intently watching the stage and discussing. Arin and Seokjin were right by them, ready to give us the play by play in our in-ears.

"So far those two senior girls are in the lead. They were enamored by the story they told through their dance."

Hoseok gave me a sideways glance, conveying exactly what we needed to do.

The music started off gradually, lined with defining beats to keep us on time. A deeply passionate and tragic song about loving someone who stands for something the exact opposite of what you do. It was slow but intense because the defined beats needed sharp yet fluid movements. A dance that contradicted itself from the song.

Being able to dance again after so long in front of an audience reminded me of my younger days. When I was unburdened by the weight of adulthood. I could dance for hours without anyone looking and live on my own terms.

A truly unique way of expression that is entirely left up to the interpretation of the audience. And no one embodied that better than Hoseok. A storyteller who used his body to tell his stories.

At first, we were far apart, following the dance by our own memory as we had rehearsed.

"Keep it up, you guys. They look intrigued."

When the first chorus came, our movements were powerful and upfront. Hoseok had forgotten all nervousness and formality, focusing entirely on the task at hand.

His hand securely wrapped around my waist, once again guiding me through the move we had spent so much time perfecting. And it was pulled off spotlessly. The timing was perfect, the chemistry between our flowing bodies, and the on-stage heat we felt from the friction was enough to catch the audience in a trance.

We were telling the story. The pain of forsaken love. Of unsure love. In all honesty, though I hated this idea of a partner, I couldn't have pulled this off as easily without him.