Chapter 4

Brief mentions of violence and trafficking
_________________________________

"What are you wearing?" I looked at Hoseok in shock.

He was in a full fledged suit if he was getting married, looking at me with a cheery smile.

"I figured since we were having lunch that I should dress up to make a good first impression," he honestly admitted.

Arin chuckled, "See? He's the same age as you and he's this ball of sunshine. Cheer up raincloud."

I rolled my eyes, "Shut up. Anyway, let's go. We've got lots to do."

I brushed past him, knowing full well that he was following at my heels like a puppy.

The two of us walked in silence to a nearby cafe that was popular amongst our bureau. Might as well get the newbies accustomed to our mannerisms.

The breeze was high that day, so I shoved my hands into my denim jacket pockets and pulled the hoodie over my head. I had never liked the cold. Especially not after the incident with Sae.

But as soon as we stepped inside the cafe, it was like a warm hug, curtesy of the circulating heater. The smell of pastries instantly filled our noses, making our palettes water for food.

The two of us got a table, sitting directly across from each other, neither willing to speak up first.

It was way too awkward. I had almost forgotten what it was like to interact with someone considered a partner.

Sae was like my big sister. She was my big sister in fact. And now it just felt like I was replacing her spot in my life.

"So, I brought you hear as a preliminary introduction. We will probably be spending a lot of time together in the coming months, so we can obviously learn about each other then, but especially since you're a rookie, I felt it only fair to get acquainted," I said.

He slowly nodded, "That's very kind."

"Feel free to ask me some questions. I'll try to answer them," I tried to sound warm.

"Okay...I mean I'm not really sure. I guess I'll start with something simple, how long have you been doing this?" He asked.

"Seven years. I started when I was eighteen," I answered.

"Eighteen?! Is that even possible?! I mean I know I went through college, and then two years of working under a private law enforcement firm, but someone like Jungkook, he started working with the police at eighteen to join here. How did you-"

"I was a special case. My story is infamous amongst you rookies and I hear the gossip. It's all true. My mother and father met through this organization. Fell in love, all that stuff, and then out came me. Everything was fine, but my father slipped up one day during a mission. He lured them to our residence, and at the time, this was when there wasn't dual housing. They found out about my existence, and ever since then, we've moved from place to place in order to remain safe. But they had already gotten what they needed on me. I had to join the force because there was no way to escape the danger. So I skipped over all that you had to do and was pushed straight into the job by the boss. She looked after me when my parents couldn't, which was often since they had to move to the states to stay safe. I've been a special exception. I'm like the daughter of the agency if you will."

Hoseok frowned, "I'm sorry you went through that. It's not fair that you were dragged into it."

"It isn't. But life never is fair. It's full of sick and evil people. People who can't be dealt with the way they normally are. That's why it's our job to dispose of the rotting trash," I hissed.