Chapter 16

Violence warning! Mentions of blood, kill, etc.

Hoseok and I got the illustrious seats of being the audience to of an audience.

Part of the job was people-watching, and that's exactly what we got to do.

We loosely stretched ourselves out while closely observing interactions across groups. We needed to survey the crowd for any rising conflict as well as make note of any promising leads.

All the tense chatter began to simmer down as Seungyun loudly began to gloat and boast about us to his rival counterparts. It was all a business ploy to get under their skin, and oh boy was it working.

He knew how to rile people up. The former boss did too...

"Hey you good? You're up first," Hoseok gently reminded.

I blinked a couple times before nodding, "Yeah. Let's do this. And hope for the best."

I was up first with a few routine and freestyle solo performances. Of course I chose more contemporary-modern style songs to fit my dance aesthetic best, but I always cross-incorporated styles to provide diversity.

The one thing about the other organization trying to snag Hoseok and I up was that their beliefs did not err on the side of the patriarchy. Some of their leading officials were women. They were purely in it for money, fame, and fear. That was why there was a tense animosity between the two groups. One had more aligned social qualities of today, but was more brutal in practice. The other was strategic in nature but out of touch with the times, stuck to more conservative ways.

The one thing that I knew the two shared in common was that I, as a woman, was dazzling them. There was a glimmer in everyone's eyes as I glided across the stage confidently.

I had everyone's attention, and I had no intent on letting it go.

I shortly finished my routine allowing Hoseok to go and captivate the audience. I could tell the N.O. men were getting irritated by some of the girls in the other group who were getting most intrigued by Hoseok's passionate dance. To be honest, I was irritated too.

But finally it was time for our finishing act. Something people often looked forward to in our performances.

Today's dance was an angsty one. The song was alternative rock talking about the difficulties and ebb and flow of a toxic relationship. One that you realize might hold you back, but the love is blinding you too far to see that.

Hoseok and I started off extremely close to each other. His breaths lingered against the back of my neck as his arms securely held me.

Then slowly but surely we got farther away through sharp and furious movements. Though we were inherently doing the same exact moves, there was a sleek contrast between our styles that fit into the narrative of our dance and created almost a dissonance of harmony.

The pre-chorus had more melodic feel to it, so we slowed down the movements to create a big build up. The angles created by our dance lines allowed us to insert each other into the other's space.

Dance was intimate and personal and we wanted to convey that even if the song felt like the exact opposite.

The chorus picked up the pace immensely, sending both of our bodies into a frenzy to keep pace.

The murmurs from the audience got slightly louder as Seungyun and the other guy seemed to get into a more heated discussion. We were a hot topic so this was obviously a touchy moment for them.

I looked at Hoseok to give him an encouraging nod, but he was so lost in the music that it would take a while to bring him back down to earth.

And so we finished up the dance, taking in each other's feeling and body rhythm till the bitter end.