Chapter 44

I paced around my living room, counting each step I took in every direction to get my head on straight.

My floor was littered with dozens and dozens of stalker photos that had been sent to me over the past couple of days. At first, the pictures were just of me going about my daily business, but they shortly turned into pictures of those closest to me. Photos of them leaving their apartments, of them going to work, going to the grocery store, any simple thing and it was getting out of hand.

I had all the pieces to convict the suspects, but I needed a location on the suspects to get anything done.

There was a sense of calm paranoia in me. Ending this case had gone much deeper than thoroughness. It was now a test of my moral compass, my determination for justice, and my psyche to go against the woman who I thought was my mentor.

And to tell the truth, I was planning on self-sacrificing to finish this off. Whatever that meant. But after what happened to Miss Ki and Lyn, I knew that it had to be me. It had to be me who finished this. The fight Sae started. And the fight I'll finish. Innocent people have been hurt on a path to greed and I wouldn't stand for it any longer. This was long awaited closure for me. And hopefully a start to a new chapter, if the self-sacrifice didn't backfire.

A knock at the door had broke my chain of thoughts. I had invited a certain someone over for one last moment of peace.

"Hey, is everything alright?" He asked worriedly, instantly taking my hands in his.

There was something about his presence that filled me with hope and ease. His hands in mine made everything feel okay.

I never used to need that presence. If something was okay, I'd bulldoze through until it was. But with him, I could feel worried and have those worries comforted.

"We didn't take that case if you were wondering. Like a collective veto. The boss pushed hard but obviously we wouldn't take it. I mean who deflects suspicion like that. Also so out of character because rookie's never go on missions without an experienced partner. Also-"

"I love you."

"W-what—" he choked, coughing aggressively in shock.

I gasped, gently patting his back, "Sorry...you weren't letting me get a word in, so I blurted it."

"I can't believe you just...in broad daylight...unprovoked," he struggled to form a thought.

"Sorry if that was too soon. Just wanted to get it out," I apologized quickly, second guessing if doing this was stupid or not.

"I love you too."

It was my turn to choke on my words.

"I have for a long time. But I wanted to be sure you were ready first," he said softly, words finally coming back to him.

He pulled me onto his lap, locking his arms around my waist and leaning back into the couch.

"I love you so much, but your apartment is an atrocious dumpster fire. We gotta get rid of the investigation aesthetic and put some color in here," he teased.

I huffed, "I'll have you know I quite like it. It's worker chic."

"That's not a thing, honey," he sighed.

"Then we'll be trendsetters and make it a thing," I argued.

He gently gripped my head, giving it a little ruffle, "You sure that concussion wasn't serious. I think you're losing it."

I flicked his forehead, "The only one losing it is you."

"You'll have to explain your claim. I'm afraid you cannot make a claim without evidence," he shook his head.