Chapter 43

I pulled my car into the south parking lot, hoping to squeak by security without an issue, but of course they had to stop me.

"Agent Songbird..."

"Could you let me in please? I have a meeting with Min Yoongi," I said.

"You know we can't do that, Agent. You're still suspended," they sighed.

"It's scheduled," my voice hardened.

"She'll come looking for you," they said defenselessly.

"That's our problem. Not yours. Now let me through," I raised an eyebrow.

They reluctantly let me pass through and park my car in the lot. Regardless of the boss' authority, I was a senior agent and a damn good one. It was like denying a famous idol entrance to a cafe because the owner didn't like them but there presence would boost business.

I knocked on the side door that I had once snuck into.

Yoongi almost instantly opened it, shooting a death glare to the security guard who was admittedly just trying to do his job.

"Sorry if he gave you trouble. I told him he had permission to let you in, but some people are quite scared of the boss," he huffed.

"I don't blame them," I softly chuckled, gazing up to the rest of my pod who had also joined for our secret meeting.

"How are you feeling?" Seokjin asked.

"Okay. Holding on," I smiled halfheartedly.

After what went down at the convenience store, an executive decision was made by everyone but me to have me stay in a hotel for a week without any access to my work or the case. After such a perfect day got ruined by internal and external turmoil, they felt I needed a mental break. And that I needed to take care of my concussion.

Lyn got in my head for sure. She made me think a lot about my purpose. And after years of forward direction of work, stepping back to consider your work and purpose of doing was overwhelming. That's why I ended up just breaking down.

The numbness was still there, and I could tell my heart really wasn't ready to take on the rest of the case, but my head wanted nothing more than to finish this off. Get an answer for my moral compass.

"I called this meeting because I found something pretty monumental. I did a little digging in the boss' office," Yoongi admitted.

Arin spat her coffee onto Seokjin.

"YOU WHAT?!"

"Arin what the hell?" Seokjin was wide-eyed both from the news and his newly ruined button-up.

"Sorry honey," she chuckled awkwardly.

Hoseok was looking uncharacteristically calm about all of this. A little too calm. Not even an inkling of surprise for a bold act by a forensic scientist.

"Rookie...what did you do?" I eyed him.

"Huh? Oh nothing, why?" He fumbled nervously with the buttons on his shirt.

"I hope you didn't go with him," I warned.

"I didn't...not go with him. Aha," he chuckled awkwardly, backing behind Seokjin for protection.

I whirled on Yoongi, "Are you both insane? You could've lost your jobs over that. Or been huge targets if she's a part of this whole mess."

"Wasn't my idea to do it," Yoongi shrugged.

I whirled back around to Hoseok, "This was your idea?! Rookie, what?!"

"Hey we were all hitting walls in our leads! It was time to do some serious digging," he defended.