Chapter 42

Violence warning!!! Weapons, blood, etc. are mentioned, read with caution if sensitive to death etc.
_________________________________

I sprinted straight out of the building, leaving behind the bewildered receptionist and neighbors and I beelined it for the convenience store.

It was faster for me to run there than to get in my car and all of that, but doing so did make me forget to grab any sort of weapon to protect myself in the very likely case there was an armed assailant.

I whipped out my phone, dialing emergency services.

"Emer-"

"061621, Agent Songbird speaking," I said hurriedly.

"Agent Songbird? What is your emergency?"

"A potential hostage at Moon Convenience Store. Suspect is Oh Yeonju, wanted for his parents' death, brother's death, and Park Sae, also known as Agent Neon. Hostage is Yoo Lyn. Potential bystander Ki Sujin could be present as well. I need backup, as soon as possible. I am unarmed but closely approaching the scene," I explained.

"How did you hear about this?"

"Yeonju is the suspect of my case and he's been sending photos to me cryptically, stalking me. This case is mine, so please leave police investigation out of it. I just need backup."

"Medical aid as well?"

"Possi-"

I was cut off by the ear-piercing sound of several earth-shattering bangs and pained screams.

"Yes. I need to go. I need that backup immediately, and please don't flag this for other agents," I said, hanging up.

My feet carried me even faster as I bolted to the convenience store. I landed in the empty parking lot to two bleeding bodies and no Yeonju in sight.

I scanned the area for any sign of him but there was nothing in sight but an empty car.

I rushed to Lyn, dropping by her side. Two bullet wounds to the lower abdomen. She looked at me with an agonized expression.

"Lyn, it's me, Agent Songbird," I said softly, propping her up in my arms.

She winced, "Y-you actually c-came."

I nodded, "Of course I did. I vowed to protect you, remember. But that's not important. I need you to stay awake for me okay? And I need you to press your hands against your wounds very hard. It's going to hurt like hell but we need to slow that bleeding."

She was breathing hard, her face getting paler by the second.

"T-the o-old woman....t-tried to protect. I th-think she's..." she croaked out.

"Shh, I'll go check on her okay? But keep the pressure to your wound and don't shut your eyes. Help is on the way," I hushed.

I dashed over to Miss Ki who was flat on the ground. I begged the universe to keep her alive as I flipped her over so I could cradle her head in my hands.

"Miss Ki? Miss Ki it's me, Suhyun. I need you to wake up for me," I pleaded, desperately searching for a pulse.

Come on, come on, please. She didn't deserve this. Not her. Not who I just promised yesterday I'd have tea again.

There were two bullet wounds in her as well. One to the collarbone and one directly at the ribs.

No matter where I pressed against her wrist and neck, I couldn't get a pulse. I listened close to her chest for any small breath or even a heartbeat. But there was not a single sign of life.