Chapter 39

If you asked me what I'd be doing with myself after getting suspended from work, I would not say sneak back in to pick up restricted evidence from closed cases.

But here we are. In all honesty, my mind was still reeling from what Yoongi showed me. That case was from years ago. The case that rocked my world in an unimaginable way. I thought I had buried that case when I had to close it out without Sae, yet here it was, tormenting my world again.

However, if I could get my hands on all the files, I would have a monumental breakthrough to back up the hypotheticals in my notes.

The secret agent outfit for the heist included black leggings, black sneakers, a black turtle neck that was large enough to cover up to my nose when unrolled, a black beanie, black leather jacket, and black gloves to avoid fingerprints.

I stood a couple of meters away from the building, trying to map out the timing of the cameras so I could easily get in and out. I took a moment for catch my breath since I walked a good couple of miles to get here. I didn't want to bring my car because the cameras had a wide view and would flag it immediately, and I didn't want to take public transportation because that'd be suspicious, so I went with working out the legs.

Heart full of determination and mind steely resolved, I pulled up the turtle neck over my nose and made my way towards the south parking lot.

I made sure to go around the east side at a wide angle so I wouldn't accidentally trip an alarm or pop up on the camera.

Once I was on the south side, I kept my eyes closely trained on the camera and its placement. It was the exact same camera they had back in the Nature's Organization mansion that swiveled on a seven second interval.

The camera however did constantly have the door in its view except for on the far sides where while still in view, it was only a small part. That was my only window of opportunity to run in. And I had to sprint for it fast because if I snuck up and got too close I'd get caught by the wide angle.

So as the camera started moving from the left side to the right, I sprinted in, making sure not to get too excited and get in its view. I crept up as close as possible and the second it locked its position on the right side, I ducked and opened the door as minimally wide as possible to slip in quickly before the camera even had a chance to swivel back.

I breathed a sigh of relief, feeling accomplished that I had made it inside. That was the hard part. Now all I had to do was get through, get the files and get out without being caught by the night guard.

Yoongi had left his laptop wide open and unlocked, left on a screen for a past criminal record database that I could use in case I found anything.

"Oh, you are so amazing," I hummed before going into the file storage.

I pulled out my flashlight to fend off the pitch black darkness of the room as I started scanning through the files for the ones that I wanted.

The shelves were massive and tall, filled to the brim with boxes of every case file every worked on in this bureau. It was kind of daunting to look at. To think that there were that many special crimes or groups that needed extra investigation. This was the legacy of our work. Every last case we worked, every battle scar we carried, every loss we suffered on the field, every hard choice we had to make, was all right here. Summarized in papers and reports. It scared me how many of these boxes were my cases. There was a fair amount from those who came before me and from those who came after, but at least thirty percent of the hundreds of boxes were mine. I funneled a lot of time and energy into work after Sae died. It was how I coped. And then it became all I knew. I became the weapon of justice in bringing these large organizations down and saving anyone who needed it. It felt almost manipulative now that I look back on it. On one hand, I was doing something good, at least I hoped I was. But on the other, I was being used as the iron fist of justice by an employer who I was now suspicious might have another agenda.